View more on these topics

Yorkshire Building Society achieves full carbon neutral status

Yorkshire Building Society has achieved full carbon neutral status and has switched from its standard electricity supplier to ‘green electricity’ in all of its 131 branches across the UK.

80% of all energy used by Yorkshire Building Society will be switched to energy produced from renewable sources over the next four months. The remaining 20% of the energy used is from gas power.

Yorkshire has for a number of years been reducing its CO2 emissions, and whilst it has now achieved full carbon neutral status, accredited by the CarbonNeutral Company, it has a number of other initiatives planned aimed at continuing to reduce its carbon footprint.

These include identifying further recycling opportunities, promoting lower CO2 and alternatively fuelled company vehicles and an awareness campaign amongst employees to encourage energy saving practices.

Yorkshire environment manager Mary Blackwell says: “As a mutual organisation it is important for us to be a responsible corporate citizen not only in the communities where we operate but also to the wider environment. Becoming carbon neutral is one way we have been able to demonstrate this and to announce our achievement today, World Environment Day, seems appropriate.

She adds: “We have agreed targets with the CarbonNeutral Company for reducing our carbon footprint year on year and I’m confident that we will achieve these goals. We have got lots of activities planned over the coming months, which will encourage staff to think green whilst at work and also at home. I’m determined that the effort we are putting in will make a real difference.”


Retention wrangle

Helen Pow says the argument is raging over retention but more lenders will start offering fees.

Abbey re-enters 100 per cent mortgage market

Abbey has re-entered the 100 per cent mortgage market with a new product set to be launched on 13 June.The new deal has a maximum loan to value of £500,000 and requires no deposit. The range includes two, three and five year products and there are no higher lending charges.Abbey managing director for intermediaries Ricky […]

Dividend slump? Not if you look globally

By George Boyd-Bowman, Manager of the Neptune Global Income Fund Recent research has indicated that global dividend growth will slump by as much as 50 per cent in 2016. As collapsing commodities hit high-profile dividend payers, George Boyd-Bowman explains why the US and Japan are his top picks for income growth in 2016. Click here […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm