View more on these topics

Widows raises rates for term and reviewable CI

Scottish Widows has raised its rates for term insurance and reviewable critical-illness by an average of 4.5 per cent.

The company says the reason for the increase is that it could not get the reinsurance rates to keep premiums as they were.

The minimum monthly premium for Widows&#39 mortgage and business cover and level term insurance will rise from £4.50 to £6.

The maximum sum assured rises from £1m to £5m less the sum insured of any other Lloyds TSB/ Scottish Widows plans in force.

The new rates will apply to applications made on or after September 8 but the previous rates will be available to pipeline applications for plans starting before October 7.

Applications which are made between September 8 and October 7 will also qualify for the previous rates if the original quotation was made before September 8.

Scottish Widows marketing manager Ross Eas-ton says: “This is our first increase in critical-illness rates since 1998 and the first increase in life cover since 2000.

“We are acutely aware of the need to do the right thing in terms of pipeline business so we are setting out our criteria at the start.”

Lifesearch senior technical manager Kevin Carr says: “The increase goes against the trend for reviewable critical-illness rates to fall while guaranteed rates rise. “It could be a corporate decision to restrict new business to a manageable amount.”


Long fixes have appeal to public

Consumers find the idea of long-term fixed-rate mortgages attractive, according to London & Country.Its financial survey shows that 63 per cent of consumers like the idea of long-term fixed-rate mortgages, indicating there could be a market for Chancellor Gordon Brown&#39s aim of encouraging long-term deals.However, 37 per cent do not like the thought of taking […]

FSA slashes PI requirements for loan and general brokers

Mortgage and general insurance brokers have seen their professional indemnity insurance requirements dramatically reduced under proposals from the FSA as part of its plans for regulation of the two markets published this week.Previous proposals would have required mortgage and insurance intermediaries to hold cover equivalent to three times annual income but the FSA&#39s latest policy […]

Borrowers unaware of repayment penalties

Half of those who intend to take out a personal loan in the year ahead (two million people) have no idea that the majority of personal loans carry repayment penalties. Research from ICM Research for Intelligent Finance also reveals that over a third (16 million people) of all adults in the UK do not realise […]

Gallagher quits Legg Mason

Keiran Gallagher, chief investment officer and European growth fund manager at Legg Mason Investments, has resigned from the group to explore the possibility of setting up an investment boutique.Gallagher, who could also team up with a specialist money manager, is staying on to ensure a smooth handover process although his fund will be taken over […]

UK policy: Kate Moss and short-termism

“Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,” said supermodel Kate Moss, who is not often credited for her insights into policy making. Perhaps she should be. In politics, as in matters of diet, the course of action that is the best over the long term is often not the most desirable course of action in the short term. Add the instant gratification of the democratic electoral cycle and, instead of good policy making, you sometimes get the equivalent to a midnight binge in front of the fridge.

Read more

Important information

Investment risks

The value of an investment and any income from it can fall as well as rise and you may not get back the amount originally invested. Forecasts and past performance are not a guide to future performance. Some information and statistical data herein has been obtained from sources we believe to be reliable but in no way are warranted by us as to their accuracy or completeness. These are Neptune’s views and as such this document is deemed to be impartial research. We do not undertake to advise you of any change to our views.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm