View more on these topics

Which? investigation finds claims firms providing misleading advice

Which? is calling on claims management firms to clean up their act after an undercover investigation by the consumer watchdog found misleading advice and unfair contract terms to be commonplace among such companies.

Posing as someone who thought they might have been mis-sold payment protection insurance, Which? mystery shopped 25 claims firms and identified problems at every single one.

It found that most of the firms did not follow the rules set out by the Ministry of Justice, and that two thirds of the companies failed to advise the caller about the Financial Ombudsman Service, despite being required to do so.

Six firms repeatedly told the caller they had more chance of success or would receive more compensation using a claims firm than by submitting a claim independently.

Which? says that WeFightAnyClaim told the caller they had over a 90 per cent chance of claiming through them, or under a 10% per cent chance of claiming by themselves.

Which? says there is no proof that this is true, and that claims firms are prohibited from making such statements.

The investigation also found that three of the firms – Aims Review, WeFightAnyClaim and Tucan Claims – charge upfront fees, and some asked callers for payment over the phone.  

Which? and are calling for both cold calling and asking for payment over the phone to be banned, as they believe these practices can created a pressured situation where consumers are unable to consider their options.

Which? also says that the investigation found many firms’ contract terms to be unfair.  

It says the typical fee charged by a claims firm is 30 per cent of the compensation received (25 per cent plus VAT), but the definition of compensation varies. It says that consumers might assume the fee would be calculated based on the lump sum of money paid to them, but some firms include a reduction in future loan repayments as part of the compensation, meaning some people could receive far less than they expect or end up owing money to the claims firm.  

Richard Lloyd, executive director of Which?, says: “Claims management companies must clean up their act. All too often, consumers are being misled about their chances of success and how much they’ll have to pay – the last thing people need if they’ve already fallen victim to the PPI mis-selling scandal.  

“We look forward to the MoJ taking swift enforcement action where appropriate, based on the findings of our investigation.”

Martin Lewis, creator of, adds: “Even if the claims handling companies all played it by the book, with mis-sold PPI payouts of £3,000 to £5,000 now being commonplace, the price charged is far too high.  

On Monday, Money Marketing’s sister title Mortgage Strategy launched its Make Claims Firms Pay campaign, calling for claims firms to be made to pay for unsubstantiated claims against brokers. To sign the e-petition click here.



FSA to quiz consumers over platform payment ban

The FSA is to contact consumers who have assets held on platforms to gauge their knowledge of platform functions as part of its research into whether or not to press ahead with its proposed ban on payments and rebates. Money Marketing understands the regulator has asked platforms to source clients as part of further research […]

Lib Dem Conference 2011

The LibDems in Birmingham: A conference in pictures

This week the Liberal Democrats met in Birmingham for their annual conference to digest where 500 days of coalition has left the party. In this photoblog, Money Marketing’s political reporter Steve Tolley takes a look at the fringe meetings, what late-night sing alongs say about Clegg’s relationship with his members, what Sven Goran-Eriksson has to […]


Time taken for FSA to approve firms’ expansion plans continues to rise

Law firm Reynolds Porter Chamberlain has attacked the FSA’s “laborious” and “intrusive” approach to the authorisation of financial services firms’ expansion plans after the average regulatory approval period increased to 97 days. The figure, which covers the 12 months to June 30, 2011, represents a 10 per cent increase on the previous year’s average of […]


FTSE 100 slumps 4.64% at close as US markets continue to fall

The FTSE 100 closed down 4.64 per cent today and US stock markets fell in morning trades following news of the US Federal Reserve’s economic stimulus. The Dow Jones Industrial Index was down 3.34 per cent to 10,754 by 11.40am while the S&P 500 was down 3 per cent to 1,131. The stimulus plan, called […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 4 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. My office receives around 8 calls each weeks advisign that I can claim for a) my recent accident, b) my mis-sold PPI plan, c) my debts totally written off courtesy of a Govt initiative.

    If ever there was an industry out of control it it this one.

  2. Re Alan Lakey’s post

    The latest being @ 6.00pm last night
    They are a complete nusiance.

  3. I too have been inundated with these calls, one on my mobile when I was abroad, on holiday. one of my cllients, who works in the airline industry, asked me to arrange redundantcy cover for her, last year. The premiun has just leapt from £57 per month to £101 per month, which the company are attributing to their expected future losses if brokers have been mis-selling the product.

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm