View more on these topics

Term sales rise by 14%

Term assurance sales were up 14 per cent last year to 1.6m from 1.4m in 2000 according to the latest Life & Health report from reinsurer Swiss Re.

IFAs accounted for 653,498 of term sales up from 558,780 in 2000. Term represented 65 per cent of all UK regular premium life policies sold in 2001, with whole of life policies accounting for the remaining 35 per cent or 853,416.

Swiss Re says there are now approximately 8m term policies in force in the UK.

Recommended

Serps&#39 creator Barbara Castle led the fight for fair play in pensions

The creation of a supplementary state pension scheme which actually worked is one of the most overlooked but significant achievements of fomer Labour minister Barbara Castle, who died last week aged 91.As Health and Social Security Secretary from 1974 to 1976 during Wilson&#39s Government, Castle created the state earnings-related pension scheme, which many advisers regard […]

Barclays guarantees savings

Barclays Bank has introduced another issue of its guaranteed equity savings bond, which divides investors&#39 capital equally between a guaranteed equity bond and a high interest account.The high interest account element is a one year fixed-rate bond that pays interest of 8 per cent. It allows investors to make emergency withdrawals of at least £1,000, […]

CML calls for &#39proportionate and cost-effective&#39 approach

The Council of Mortgage Lenders is urging the Government and the FSA to take a “proportionate and cost-effective” attitude to mortgage regulation rather than merely mirror the rules for investment business.In its response to the Treasury&#39s Regulating Mortgages consultation paper, the CML says wherever regulation proposes to go further than the existing mortgage code, the […]

Ail&#39s well that ends well

One of my colleagues suffered a heart attack last July and after six months our employer terminated his employment contract. Neither he nor our employer had any insurance against ill health.My previous employer did and pay continued until recovery and return to work. Can I do something about this myself? Yes, you can do something. […]

thumbnail

What employers should expect over the next five years

A major feature of our articles is looking into the Jelf Employee Benefits crystal ball to predict changes and trends that may influence the short and medium term shape of UK employee benefits.  By flagging such changes early we aim to provide our followers with the tools to make sensible and informed decisions on their benefits offerings.

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com