View more on these topics

Subsidy to continue as IFAs pay £1m levy

Product providers are set to continue the 85 per cent cross-subsidy of IFAs&#39 costs from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, leaving advisers facing a bill of only £1m.

In a joint statement from Aifa and the ABI, expected in the next two weeks, the two bodies will announce the res-ults of negotiations which have been ongoing since N2 six months ago. The news comes as the FSCS has set the levy that investment firms will face for the current financial year at £56.4m down from £60.6m last year.

The FSCS estimates that £49m of this amount will apply to providers, with the remaining £7m coming from the IFA sector. But as a result of the cross-subsidy, 85 per cent of this £7m will be met by providers, leaving IFAs to pay about £1m.

FSCS chief executive Suz-anne McCarthy says 90 per cent of the levy will be used to pay for outstanding pension review cases, with the remaining 10 per cent covering the running costs of the scheme.

As reported in Money Marketing in April, a deal is also believed to have been reached between providers and IFAs regarding the £4m-£5m subsidy over regulation costs.

Aifa director general Paul Smee says: “I am delighted that our negotiations have reached a successful conclusion and the providers have agreed to continue the subsidy.”

ABI spokeswoman Emma Grainge says: “We are not making an announcement in the near future. The details have yet to be finalised.”

Baronworth Investment Services director Colin Jackson says: “It would be better if they contributed 100 per cent but as long as the subsidy does not decrease, I have no complaints.”


WPA takes flexi route to PMI

Western Provident Association has introduced flexible health, an individual private medical insurance (PMI) plan that allows policyholders to upgrade and downgrade cover as their circumstances change.The plan is based on standard cover, which includes in-patient and day-patient treatment, limited out-patient treatment and additional benefits such as nursing at home. The standard cover can then be […]

Martin Clarke

Despite Co-operative Insurance Society general marketing manager Martin Clarke claiming he could just as easily be doing the marketing for a different company, you get the feeling that beneath the surface lies a strong commitment to the Co-op&#39s ethical stance.He says the reasons for getting a job with CIS needs a 25-year-old answer. After graduated […]

Norwich Union – Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance

Tuesday, 14 May 2002 Type: Accident, sickness and unemployment cover Maximum benefit: £2,500 a month single applicants, £3,000 a month joint applicants Benefit payment term: 12, 18, 24 months Deferred period: 30, 60, 90 days Premium: Subject to underwriting Commission: None Tel: 0800 0687926

GE Life – Income Option Plan

Monday, 13 May 2002 Type: Guaranteed equity bond Aim: Income or growth linked to the performance of the Dow Jones Euro Stoxx 50 index Minimum-maximum investment: £7,000-£1m Term: Three years two months Guarantee: Option 1 &#45 100% of capital returned if the index falls by no more than 20% or the final index level is […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm