View more on these topics

Steve Webb presses FCA on pensions guidance safeguards

Pensions minister Steve Webb has questioned the FCA over what controls are in place for people who do not take up the offer of the Government’s “free” guidance guarantee.

Speaking at a House of Commons Pension Schemes Bill committee hearing this morning, the regulator told MPs there are currently no safeguards if people choose not to use the guidance.

Money Marketing recently revealed just 2.5 per cent of people took up the guidance when offered it as part of a pilot, although TPAS estimates 25 per cent will from April next year.

Webb said: “There’s an alternative scenario. Someone doesn’t access the guidance at all – take up won’t be 100 per cent.

“Say my provider does their bits ­– tells me guidance is available – and I don’t take it up and then make my retirement choice. Is there a need for a second defence so I have to sign something that says ‘I’m married and I realise my widow will get nothing’?”

FCA director of policy David Geale said the issue might be looked at in the future and questioned the lengths the industry should go to push people into using the guidance:

He said: “How far do we want to take people who haven’t taken what’s available and say ‘are you really really sure you didn’t want to take up the guidance?’ That’s a question we need to look at as the guidance guarantee comes into play.”

Webb also asked about the FCA’s powers to intervene and block “flaky” products rather than just “clearing up the mess after things have gone wrong”.

FCA director of policy, risks and research Christopher Woolard confirmed the regulator does not pre-approve products but does have powers to take early action.

He said: “[The powers] can either be to move to an immediate ban of the marketing or the complete sale of a product, on a permanent basis or a temporary banning power up to a year while we work out whether something’s really gone wrong”, he said.

Geale added he was not expecting a surge of new products in April, but that providers were instead “looking to plug gaps in their own range”.



TPAS estimates 25% take-up of pensions guidance next year

The Pensions Advisory Service estimates 25 per cent of retirees will take up pensions guidance next year, rising to 75 per cent in future years. Speaking at a Pension Schemes Bill committee today, TPAS chief executive Michelle Cracknell said she expects 100,000 people to take up guidance next year. The estimates jar with the Legal […]

Gerry Brown peach

Case study: Trustee duties and the role of bonds

George and Andrew have recently been appointed trustees of a family trust set up by their late father David. On reviewing the trust papers they find the trust fund is worth about £200,000. Two-thirds of this is held in deposit accounts with different banks; the remainder is held in “blue chip” equities. George and Andrew […]


TSC chair Andrew Tyrie demands answers over BoE technical glitch

Treasury select committee chairman Andrew Tyrie has written to the Bank of England after a technical glitch shut down a crucial payments system today. After undergoing checks at the weekend the Bank found a technical fault in its real time gross settlement system payment system on Monday morning. The system allows banks and building societies […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 3 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. A voice bubble to that photo might well read And this is the length of my you-know-what.

  2. Haha Julian, but I think he could be saying that like the 4%of state pensioners, this many, who get no indexation to their state pension while the other 96% do enjoy an annual increase. These pensioners should have had a warning but we failed to give it and now we have a problem because they all paid the required contributions and we have to sort it out. But he would not admit to this !

  3. Photo caption: Mine’s only this long.

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm