View more on these topics

Spanish inquisition

I intend to buy a property in Spain and retire there. What I need to do to be treated as a non-UK resident and how I can establish my domicile in Spain?

The terms residence and ordinary residence are not defined in the Taxes Acts and are based largely on court rulings.

To be regarded as resident in the UK, you must normally be physically present in the country at some time in the tax year. You will always be resident if you are here for 183 days or more in the tax year. There are no exceptions to this.

You count the total number of days you spend in the UK. It does not matter if you come and go several times or if you are here for one stay of 183 days or more. If you are here for less than 183 days, you may still be treated as resident for the year under other tests.

The normal rule is that days of arrival in and departure from the UK are ignored in counting the days spent in the UK in all the various cases where calculations have to be made to determine your residence position.

If you are resident in the UK year after year, you are treated as ordinarily resident here. You may be resident but not ordinarily resident in the UK for a tax year if, for example, you normally live outside the UK but are in this country for 183 days or more in the year. Or you may be ordinarily resident but not resident for a tax year if, for example, you usually live in the UK but have gone abroad for a long holiday and do not set foot in the UK during that year.

It is possible to be resident or ordinarily resident in both the UK and some other country or countries at the same time. If you are resident or ordinarily resident in another country, this does not mean that you cannot also be resident or ordinarily resident in the UK. However, where you are resident both in the UK and a country with which the UK has a double-taxation agreement, there may be special provisions in the agreement for treating you as a resident of only one of the countries for the purposes of the agreement.

If you go abroad permanently, you will be treated as remaining resident and ordinarily resident if your visits to the UK average 91 days or more a year. Any days spent in the UK because of exceptional circumstances beyond your control, for example, the illness of yourself or your immediate family, are not normally counted for the purposes of averaging your visits.

If you claim that you are no longer resident and ordinarily resident in the UK, the Inland Revenue may ask you to provide some evidence that you have left the UK permanently or are to live outside the UK for three years or more.

This evidence might be, for example, that you have taken steps to acquire accommodation abroad to live in as a permanent home or, if you continue to have property in the UK for your use, the reason is consistent with your stated aim of living abroad permanently or for three years or more.

If you have left the UK permanently or for at least three years, you will be treated as not resident and not ordinarily resident from the day after the date of your departure provided:

Your absence from the UK has covered at least a whole tax year and

Your visits to the UK since leaving:

– have totalled less than 183 days in any tax year and

– have averaged less than 91 days a tax year.

Domicile is a general law concept. Broadly speaking, you are domiciled in the country where you have your permanent home. Domicile is distinct from nationality or residence. You can only have one domicile at any given time.

You normally acquire a domicile of origin from your father when you are born. It need not be the country in which you are born. For example, if you are born in France while your father is working there but his permanent home is in the UK, your domicile of origin is in the UK.

Until you have the legal capacity to change it, your domicile will follow that of the person on whom you are legally dependent. If the domicile of that person changes, you automatically acquire the same domicile (a domicile of dependency) in place of your domicile of origin.

You have the legal capacity to acquire a new domicile (a domicile of choice) when you reach age 16. To do so, you must broadly leave your current country of domicile and settle in another country.

You need to provide strong evidence that you intend to live there permanently or indefinitely. Living in another country for a long time is not enough in itself to prove you have acquired a new domicile.


Online service for human resources

IFA network Group 300 is offering an internet-based tool to help advisers with their human resources&#39 responsibilities.The Evolution 300 package allows IFAs to manage their HR requirements by enabling them to maintain employee records and audit trails online. It can be used to create terms and conditions contracts, letters, health and safety documents and staff […]

Phil Wagstaff

Those who know M&G UK retail managing director Phil Wagstaff are never surprised by his straight-shooting way of looking at the industry. He is never one to jump on industry bandwagons, preferring to use his own gut instinct.So while there is presently a lot of talk about a “bond bubble” about to burst, Wagstaff sees […]

Axa set for move into protection

Axa has signalled its intention to break into the protection market with the appointment of Iain Mallon as head of protection marketing.Mallon&#39s appointment was confirmed in a press release last week which said he will be responsible for “spearheading the development of Axa&#39s new protection business”.Despite this, the company says it is only considering entering […]

Moneysupermarket in link-up with press sites is white-labelling its comparative account aggregation system in partnerships with national press personal finance websites Money Telegraph and the Mail&#39s This Is Money.The deal will allow users of the and websites to access their current and savings accounts, mortgage, credit card, Isa and travel insurance details online. The system displays the customer&#39s […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm