View more on these topics

SLI GARS criticised for lack of diversification


Standard Life Investments Global Absolute Returns Strategy gets the bulk of its returns from 15 out of its 127 strategies, says Fundhouse, which has given the fund a negative rating.

Research by the ratings agency found that the returns of the fund are concentrated, rather than having diversified sources of returns.

“We found that bonds delivered a disproportionate amount of the upside, whilst absorbing a small part of the risk budget,” Fundhouse says in its report on the fund.

“Equities and currency had the opposite effect – they delivered very low returns, but absorbed substantial risk budget. All this evidence works against the central premise of the fund, in our view – diversification of returns.”

The ratings agency says it would have instead expected the fund would have diversified sources of returns that would deliver on the fund’s goals regardless of equity or bond market trends.

The research company has maintained the fund’s Tier 3 rating, first concluded in 2014, which means it has “fundamental concerns” about aspects of the fund and believes there are better alternatives available.

“All the evidence works against the central premise of the funds, in our view – diversification of returns. It makes us wonder: should the historical primary return driver (income-driven strategies) not deliver; there is seemingly little evidence of what alternatives the fund has to fall back on,” the report states.

Fundhouse managing director and co-founder Rory Maguire says a number of funds are rated negatively, but GARS is the fund clients ask about most at the moment.

The report also notes that the fund has met objectives, producing cash plus 5 per cent since inception and through the global financial crisis, which it says had been achieved with low volatility.

“Equally, the people who run the fund are impressive and theoretically have all the tools necessary to execute a strategy such as this one. They have also pioneered this investment genre, which is admirable,” the report states.


FCA interior 620x430

Should FCA intervene over advice cashflow planning concerns?

Concerns are growing advisers are putting too much emphasis on simplistic cashflow planning, with some suggesting the FCA should consider intervening. Wingate Financial Planning director Alistair Cunningham raised the issue in Money Marketing last month, accusing some firms of acting like “charlatans”. Cunningham says since the RDR increasing numbers of advisers have been guilty of putting […]

FCA interior logo 620x430

FCA bans ‘reckless’ former RBS Libor submitter

The FCA has banned former Royal Bank of Scotland employee Paul White for “reckless” Libor submissions that risked corrupting the integrity of the index. According to the regulator, White was the primary RBS Libor submitter for Japanese Yen (JPY) and Swiss Francs (CHF) between March 2007 and November 2010. White received 68 documented communications from […]


NHS scraps controversial cash-for-pension offer

An NHS trust has closed a deal it offered new nurses to opt out of the generous NHS scheme in favour of a higher salary. The Oxleas Foundation Trust in south east London was offering newly-qualified ‘band 5’ nurses the choice of being paid money that would go into the scheme. It was understood staff […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There is one comment at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. I’d be mightily interested to see the data supporting the ‘met its objectives’ comment. The data set I pulled from Morningstar indicated it had done so over 60% of the time periods assessed but missed it’s objectives for the remaining 40% of the time. Just goes to show…statistics

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm