View more on these topics

Skipton FS looks to grow in cash deals

Skipton Financial Services says it is lining up further IFA acquisitions as part of its aggressive growth strategy.

It recently acquired Parnell Fisher Child and believes consolidation is key to the survival of adviser firms after the retail distribution review.

Managing director Simon Holt says he believes Skipton is an attractive parent because of its acquisition strategy. It only pays cash and takes a 75 per cent stake, with the remaining 25 per cent held by the adviser firm’s management team.

Holt says: “We have a great acquisition model. We think that by ensuring the management team of the firm we buy keep 25 per cent, they have a vested interest. We think it is a supportive plan to help them grow value in their businesses.

“We only pay cash. We do not agree with paying part equity, share options or promising future value. We want to be financially strong and are not after future promises. I cannot see the sense in this unless providers want to put influence on the management team to use their wrap, for example.”

Holt says Skipton has 19 subsidiary companies in financial services and wants this figure to continue growing.

He says capital is vital and he is already moving the business away from a reliance on high initial commission towards a recurring income model.

Holt says: “We stopped taking high initial commission in January, seeing low initial as having a positive role. We have strong capital and want to see the potential for long-term gain.”


Munich Re buys software firm

Munich Re has acquired business processing and underwriting software firm Allfinanz in a deal worth euro 48m. Allfinanz software will now be incorporated into Munich Re’s medical underwriting questions.

UK pension shame continues

The UK’s state pension system has been rated the worst in Europe for the second year running, by Aon Consulting. An average earner retiring this year would receive a pension worth 17 per cent of their salary compared with an EU average of 57 per cent.

1st enters mortgage market with launch of AEME

1st has entered the mortgage market with the launch of Adviser Evolution: Mortgage Edition, its first system dedicated to the needs of mortgage advisers.AEME provides online quotes, sourcing and e-business functionality for mortgages, protection and general insurance.Vertex Life, Pensions & Distribution managing director David Child says: “The development of AEME has been made possible by […]

Standard definitions blamed for distorting critical-illness choice

The Association of British Insurers should have maintained core and additional categories for critical-illness conditions rather than group them together under its standard definitions, says Defaqto protection principal consultant Nick Telfer.Speaking at the Osney Media Protection Summit in London last week, Telfer said many advisers and consumers are now unclear as to which conditions are […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm