View more on these topics

ScotEq offers hybrid fund through bond

Scottish Equitable is using a hybrid of passive and active management to increase diversification in its multi-manager-style universal balanced collection fund.

The unit-linked fund, which has just been made available through Scottish Equitable’s investment bond, mirrors the universal balanced collection pension fund which was established in 2001.

It is currently Scottish Equitable’s biggest selling pen- sion fund and has grown to over £1.74bn since launch. An offshore version is also being offered through Scottish Equitable International.

Around 75 per cent is invested in Scottish Equitable’s balanced passive fund, which is managed by Merrill Lynch and invests mainly in tracker funds. The remaining 25 per cent will be invested in five balanced managed funds run by Baillie Gifford, DWS, Merrill Lynch, Newton and UBS.

The investment split between these five funds will be constantly reviewed and changed if necessary by ScotEq’s investment committee.

All five funds are in the balanced managed sector but take different investment approaches. Baillie Gifford is a top-down manager with an equity bias, UBS focuses on undervalued stocks, while DWS emphasises stock selection over asset allocation. Merrill Lynch believes a mix of value and growth investing is the best strategy while Newton looks at global trends and themes.

Scottish Equitable product marketing manager, capital investments, Jacqueline Dow says: “The fund is not being limited to actively managed or passively managed styles and we think this hybrid approach adds to its appeal.

“We are blending different styles of investment with the ultimate aim of getting better returns. It is just reflecting what a lot of people are doing themselves within their portfolios but we are offering it in a packaged form.”

Recommended

Gartmore ponders flotation

Gartmore says it is considering flotation but has played down rumours that a move is imminent. Control of the company has moved from the UK to the US over the last year with the removal of UK chief executive Glyn Jones. US insurer Nationwide, which bought Gartmore from NatWest in 2000, is believed to be […]

ALIL launches new limited edition 1-year fixed rate bond

Alliance & Leicester International is launching a new 1-year fixed rate bond at 4.40 per cent.ALIL is offering the bond to new and existing customers, who are able to deposit between £5,000 and £1m into the 1-year fixed rate bond, maturing on September 30, 2006.Investors can choose to have interest paid on maturity or on […]

Is sub-prime suspect?

Most of us have watched in horror at the situation in New Orleans and the time it took for the relief effort following Hurricane Katrina. That would never happen in the UK, we may think. But would it?

Citizens Advice wants OFT to probe payment protection

Citizens Advice is calling on the Office of Fair Trading to investigate payment protection insurance, claiming it is bad value. The consumer organisation says the product, which produces annual revenues in excess of 5bn, is often highly expensive and excludes many of the most common situations that lead to debt problems. It claims that banks, […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com