View more on these topics

Schroder introduces investment trust income Isa

Schroders has brought in the income Isa, an individual savings account that invests in a recently introduced Schroder investment trust.

The Isa aims to provide a tax-free income of 5.8 per cent a year and the potential for capital growth by investing in the ordinary shares of the Schroder split investment fund.

This investment trust invests 75 per cent in a portfolio of stocks listed on the FTSE 350 index. The remaining 25 per cent goes into a portfolio of fixed interest securities through the Schroder monthly high income and Schroder corporate bond unit trusts.

Gearing is limited to 15 per cent so it is not as risky as highly geared split-capital trusts like BFS geared income. Investing in the UK market may be an attractive feature for some investors as it has held up quite well over the last few weeks but stocks with good growth potential may still be picked up cheaply.

It is likely to appeal to adventurous income seekers since more cautious investors are likely to go for products like with-profits bonds. But some investors may be looking for a higher level of income than this Isa offers.

According to Standard & Poor&#39s the Schroder corporate bond fund is ranked 17 out of 74 funds and the Schroder monthly high income fund is ranked 15 out of 30 funds based on £1,000 invested on a bid-to-bid basis with net income reinvested over three years to December 10, 2001.

Recommended

Providers&#39 cash backs BBN&#39s Berkeley buy

National IFA Berry Birch & Noble has raised £12.5m from five product providers to help fund the acquisition of Berkeley Independent network for £47.7m. Clerical Medical, Friends Provident, Norwich Union, Scottish Widows and Skandia have each invested £2.5m in the firm, giving each provider a 4.6 per cent share in Berkeley Berry Birch, the new […]

FSA warns that KFD is not enough as it gets tough on endowment complaints

The FSA is to crack down on the way firms deal with mortgage endowment complaints, saying it is “disturbed” by the way complaints are being handled. A key features document risk warning will no longer be enough on its own to justify rejecting a complaint. Speaking at an Infoline conference on the regulation of after […]

HSBC anger at watchdog ruling over rates switch

HSBC Bank is accusing the Financial Ombudsman Service of overlooking fairness and consumer interest after it lost a ruling about its two-tier mortgage rate strategy offering lower rates to new borrowers. The ombudsman found one of the bank&#39s existing discountrate clients had been discriminated against as they were prevented from switching to a new lower […]

Canadian firm eyes UK market with legal fund offer

Canadian investment house Alpha Toronto is moving into the UK IFA market with an innovative new legal fund investing in “no win no fee” litigation. The fund offers a yield of up to 11.25 per cent a year over three years or 10.75 per cent a year over 18 months. Quarterly and monthly inc-ome options […]

UK Equities: looking past short volatility

By Mark Martin, head of UK Equities, Neptune With markets facing numerous challenges this year, Neptune’s Mark Martin, manager of the UK Mid Cap Fund, and assistant manager Holly Cassell explain how they look past short-term volatility to focus on maintaining a strong long-term performance record. Read more here Important Information – for investment professionals only. […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com