Falling interest rates have increased the appeal of income-producing products while falling stockmarkets have boosted the attractions of downside protection. This combination has led to a re-emergence in the popularity of structured products but overhanging this trend is the spectre of the late 1990s and precipice bonds.
Enhanced annuity sales rose by 35 per cent to break through the 1bn barrier last year.Consultancy Watson Wyatt says sales have increased by 161 per cent since 2001 and it believes the trend will continue.It estimates that up to 40 per cent of people taking out an annuity may be entitled to enhanced rates.Enhanced annuities […]
Societe Generale has launched a steeply discounted £4.1bn share sale in a bid to cover the £3.7bn loss made by rogue trader Jerome Kerviel.The bank is offering a one-for-four rights issue at £35.50 a share, a discount of almost 40 per cent on Friday’s closing price. The rights issue is being underwritten by JP Morgan […]
New Star’s multi-manager team are attributing the outperformance of their active portfolio to its ability to invest in a range of asset classes and markets while measuring downside risk in every position it takes.
AlphaSimplex Group believes that the most robust investment products are those that adapt to changing market conditions. Alex Healey, portfolio manager of the ASG Managed Futures Fund, talks about how holding “long” and “short” positions in alternative investments, to match market trends, can create opportunities in both up and down markets.
Just Group has acquired a 75 per cent stake in Corinthian Pension Consulting to bolster advisory services it provides to defined benefit schemes. The deal sees it take a majority stake in the holding company of Corinthian with the remaining 25 per cent retained by the existing shareholders. Corinthian provides professional advisory services to DB […]
Nearly half of parents that fall within the “bank of mum and dad” want better online guidance when it comes to their finances, fresh research shows. The housing industry estimates that more than one quarter of housing transactions are now financed by parents, making the bank of mum and dad one of the nation’s biggest […]
I am often asked what the difference is between financial planning and lifestyle financial planning. It is a question I love to answer by relating a true story. Imagine the scene: two advisers, both seeing the same married couple as potential clients. Adviser A is a highly qualified (chartered and certified) financial planner. Adviser B […]