View more on these topics

Rathbone goes for gilts while M&G backs bonds

Rathbones head of multi-asset David Coombs has increased the £40m multi-asset total return fund’s exposure to index-linked gilts to its highest ever level, while M&G fund manager Mike Riddell sees more value in inflation-linked bonds than gilts.

Gilts tend to rally in times of risk aversion but low yields have led to some bond managers cutting gilt exposure.

Coombs has added 3 per cent to index-linked gilts in the multi-asset total return fund, taking the holding from 11 per cent to 14 per cent.

He says: “Index-linked gilts could be a useful place to park your money at the moment, as inflation is likely to remain above target.”
Coombs has also reduced risk by buying ultra long-dated government bonds in the multi-asset portfolios.

In March, Coombs bought a 3 per cent position in 30-year gilts in the multi-asset total return fund and a 2 per cent position in the £55m Rathbones multi-asset strategic growth fund.

He says: “European problems have not disappeared and we are now going through a pause in terms of market moves. Long-duration gilts go up in value on risk-off days.”

M&G bond fund manager Mike Riddell sees better value in inflation-linked bonds than gilts. Speaking at an M&G investment briefing in London last week, he said: “With gilt yields at 2 per cent, you are going to underperform inflation. Where we see better value is in inflation-linked bonds. We think inflation will be above central bank interest rates for a very long time.”


IT discounts paying off for Vanbrugh

Hawksmoor’s Vanbrugh fund is taking advantage of the discounts in two investment trusts that take different approaches to technology. Vanbrugh holds the private equity investor trust, which invests in specialist venture capital funds and limited partnerships that invest mainly in early-stage to pre-flotation IT companies in the US. The trust recently announced a tender offer […]

Prips Euro edict could hit auto-enrolment

Conservative MEP Syed Kamall is fighting against the European Commission including pensions in its regulation on packaged retail investment products, saying it would be “regulatory overkill” with serious unintended consequences for auto-enrolment. Prips will introduce a standardised key information document for packaged retail investment products across the European Union. A leaked draft of the regulation […]

Ex-M&G head Stewart to join Santander AM as CIO

Santander Asset Management has appointed ex-Butterfield Bank group chief investment officer David Stewart as chief investment officer after the departure of CIO John Bearman. Stewart was group chief investment officer at Butterfield Bank between 2009 and 2011. He was previously head of investments at MGM Assurance. Santander Asset Management UK chief executive Jeff Scott says: […]

Mothers missing out on millions

By Steve Webb, director of policy and external communications The ninth Royal London Policy Paper discusses how thousands of mothers are missing out on state pension rights when they don’t have to Earlier this month we published the ninth Royal London Policy Paper, entitled ‘Mothers Missing out on Millions’. It focuses on the thousands of mothers […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm