View more on these topics

Product matters

Canada Life&#39s new range of multi-manager portfolios, operated by Insinger de Beaufort, is the latest in a steady stream of manager of manager launches.

The case for recommending such products should be appealing to IFAs who see their role primarily as financial planners but do not have access to the research resources to offer ongoing advice on portfolios of individual funds. Keeping pace with fund manager turnover and assessing how investors should respond is a huge commitment, so contracting this out provides a convenient solution.

Furthermore, the Sandler review expressed concern about the lack of understanding of many IFAs about the importance of asset allocation. Academic research suggests that asset allocation decisions account for around 90 per cent of the return in a portfolio, leaving just 10 per cent down to investment selection and timing. Contracting out the asset allocation process to a multi-manager service should be seen as an attractive choice for many IFAs.

The downside with multi-manager products is an extra layer of charges. Paying total annual costs of 2.5 to 3 per cent certainly takes the shine off.

In this respect, the Canada Life IdB fund range looks to be very competitive. Fund costs range from 1.3 to 1.5 per cent which apparently includes the costs of the underlying funds in the portfolio. Even if purchased with the accompanying select investment bond, for which there is an additional 0.35 per cent charge, the costs are relatively inexpensive compared with many other multi-manager offerings.

Jason Hollands is deputy managing director of Bestinvest


PI in the sky as IFA&#39s premiums rocket by 650%

A Brighton IFA has been hit with a 650 per cent rise in its professional indemnity insurance despite having minimal exposure to potential endowment or split-cap misselling claims.SR Financial Management submitted a PI renewal form to insurer St Paul several weeks ago, expecting to receive a quote roughly comparable to the £5,040 it paid for […]

Campaign seeks FSA meaning of misselling

Pressure is mounting on the FSA after Aifa chairman Lord David Hunt joined the calls led by Ron Sandler for the regulator to publish a definition of misselling.Hunt called Sandler&#39s recommendation a welcome move, saying that for far too long what constitutes misselling has been defined in hindsight by the FSA and advisers are running […]

And the long wait goes on…

For the first time (perhaps this in itself is an achievement), I begin to question the future of this industry and the people employed in it.I have a client who has a pension arrangement with Pearl which was included in the pension review and received compensation – presumably as a result of bad advice. We […]

&#39Outdated Peps need more reviews&#39

The vast majority of Pep inv-estors have distorted and outdated portfolios because their accounts are not being reviewed as often as they should be, according to Bates Investment.The IFA says the average unit trust or Oeic Pep account holder has a portfolio with an 83 per cent weighting in UK equities despite the fact that […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm