View more on these topics

Premier dreams of halcyon days

Premier Asset Managements halcyon extra income fund is an Oeic fund of funds that is aimed particularly at older investors who may be looking for ways to fund their long-term care needs.

The fund was designed to appeal to clients of long-term care adviser Nursing Home Fees Agency, but is also available to the clients of the wider IFA market. The rationale behind it was that putting money in savings accounts will not provide high enough returns for older people if rising care costs need to be met.

However, the fund may also appeal to investors of any age who are looking for a relatively high income without excessive risk.

The fund aims for income of 4.5 per cent a year, with the potential for capital growth. It can invest in open-ended and closed-ended funds. UK fixed interest will comprise 70 per cent of the underlying portfolio, while the remaining 30 per cent will go into UK equities. Up to half of the fixed-interest element will be invested in high-yield bonds, while the remainder will be invested in index-linked bonds and investment grade corporate bonds.

Charges are an issue for many IFAs when considering funds of funds and one good feature of this offering from Premier is that the charges include an estimate of charges on the underlying funds. The large amounts of money that Premier will be investing with the underlying fund managers means it can take advantage of wholesale discounts on the charges which are not usually available to retail investors.

However, one potential drawback is that Premier takes its charges from capital. While this preserves income levels for investors, growth will be constrained which in turn could impact on the generation of future income over the long term.


PMPA launches payment protection plan

Professional Mortgage Packagers Alliance is launching an intermediary payment protection plan to provide guarantees for intermediaries procuration fees.The plan is designed to provide a guarantee by PMPA that in the event of a member ceasing to trade, it will settle any outstanding procuration fees on completed packaged cases and which are due to FSA registered […]

IHT kills off Furbs

The Inland Revenue’s confirmation that inheritance tax will be applied to pensions is the final nail in the coffin for Furbs, according to pension experts.

New member designations

The letter from Harry Katz, PFS certificate means nothing,(Money Marketing, March 24) contains a basic misconception.

Interest rates frozen by the MPC for another month

The Bank of England has left UK interest rates on hold at 4.75 per cent for the eighth month running.The decision by the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee was widely expected given subdued UK inflation and a slowdown in consumer spending. Skipton Building Society chief executive John Goodfellow says: “Economic analysts are still predicting that we […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm