View more on these topics

Personal effects

Tax return

This needs to be submitted by January 31 in order to avoid an automatic £100 fine. It is a common misconception that if you have not been sent a return by the Inland Revenue you are not required to submit one. You are required to declare all sources of income and capital gains.

If you are a basic-rate taxpayer and you receive a small amount of bank or building society interest, you will not need to submit a return. However, if you receive any benefits in kind, for example, company car, fuel and medical insurance, you will need to declare this.

If you are a higher-rate taxpayer due to your earnings, any additional sources of income will be subject to additional tax and will need to be dec lared. You may even get some money back. In order to obtain higher rate relief on personal pension contributions, it is necessary for you supply the Revenue with your form PPCC or SEPPC (if you are selfemployed).

You can also inform the Revenue of your contributions on your return. Unless you do this, you will either receive no relief if you are self-employed or basic-rate relief only if you are an employee.


Major changes are coming into effect from April. If you are selfemployed or employed but not eligible for company pension scheme membership, you may wish to make a personal pension contribution before April 5, 2001.

This could be used to mop up relief that you have not used for the current tax year and possibly the previous seven years. This facility will effectively be lost after April 5 although under the new regime different arrangements will be available to make substantial pension contributions.

You can make an election for the contribution to be carried back to the previous tax year (ended April 5, 2000). If you make the contribution sufficiently in advance of January 31 (when you will be due to make your final tax payment for that year) you may be able to reduce the amount of the cheque that you will have to write out.

You should note that this will not reduce your payments on account in respect of the tax year ended April 5, 2001. These will still be based on the full amount of tax that you were due to pay for the tax year ended April 5, 2000.

If you allow the contribution to be relieved in the current year, this will reduce your tax for the year. If the payment is made reasonably in advance of January 31, 2001, you should be able to reduce your payments on account due January 31, 2001 and July 31, 2001.

If you miss the deadline of January 31, 2001, you can still submit an election for the payments of account to be red uced. The Revenue will not normally dispute this.

However, if the actual amount of tax that you have to pay in respect of the tax year ended April 5, 2001 turns out to be more than the amount you indicated on the election, you will be charged interest.


You can invest up to £7,000 in an Isa before the end of the tax year. This provides a shelter against income and capital gains tax. Isas are not investments but are shelters through which access can be gained to a variety of investments. These include cash deposits (maximum £3000), equities and collective investments (maximum of £7000) and life insurance funds (maximum of £2000).

The whole allowance can be invested in stocks and shares. This is known as a maxi-Isa. Alternatively, mini-Isas can be arranged for each of the individual components. The maximum stocks and shares mini Isa is £3,000.

The limits on Isas have been held at the above levels for the current and next tax years. Thereafter, they are likely to reduce.

General issues

You should review your wills. If you have small children, you need to appoint guardians and ensure that arrangements are in place to administer any money that they might inherit from you while still minors.

Although statutory provisions exist, these can be cumbersome and inflexible. They may also require intervention by a court, which could be costly and not give effect to your wishes.

If your estate is substantial, you could consider making gifts to use your inheritance tax annual gift allowance. Your wills could also be structured to make use of your nil-rate bands.

If you have a substantial investment portfolio, you should try to make use of your annual capital gains tax exemption. Consider reinvesting the proceeds in Isas.

You could invest in a portfolio of zero-coupon preference shares, which provide a fixed return.

These can be arranged to produce gains over a series of tax years that make use of your capital gains tax exemption.


CML cedes to pressure on seller&#39s packs

The Council of Mortgage Lenders has wilted under Gov ernment pressure and is now urging its members to back controversial plans for home seller&#39s packs. The CML had previously been highly critical of the packs, with its director general Michael Coogan blasting the Government&#39s trial of the packs as a failure at its annual conference […]

Scottish Equitable asset management rebrands

Scottish Equitable Asset Management is re-branding as AEGON Asset Management. This is part of its drive to increase assets under management to over £50bn in the next three years from the current figure of £34bn. When Scottish Equitable Asset Management was formed two years ago it has assets under management of £20bn. The re-branding also […]

CA wants Govt probe of Axa orphan assets case

The Consumers&#39 Association is calling on Chancellor Gor don Brown to take the FSA to task over its handling of the Axa orphan assets case. Axa won its High Court battle against policyholders who had demanded a higher proportion of its inherited estate. The CA is waiting for an explanation of the ruling before deciding […]

Pinnacle bond pins hopes on Nasdaq

The protected bonus bond from Pinnacle Insurance is a single premium bond that is designed for investors who usually opt for building society accounts.The bond is linked to the performance of the Nasdaq 100 index over a five-year term through the Pinnacle protected bonus bond fund.Investors will get their original capital return plus up to […]

Introducing Trevor Greetham

Ryan Medlock, Investment Proposition Manager, Royal London Royal London Asset Management’s (RLAM) new head of multi-asset is officially up and running. I want to look at what expertise Trevor brings to the table and how this affects the Governed Portfolios (GPs) and Governed Retirement Income Portfolios (GRIPs). Trevor Greetham joined RLAM in April 2015 from […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm