View more on these topics

Pensions without frontiers

I am a former UK resident, having now moved abroad. I have substantial pension rights earned in the UK but have no intention of returning to the UK in the future. Would it be possible for me to transfer these benefits into my new employer&#39s scheme?

Your question really falls into two parts. First, can I transfer abroad and, second, should I transfer abroad?

The answer to the first question will depend on a number of different factors. Thankfully, this is an area which has very recently been streamlined by the Pension Schemes Office in recognition of the labour-intensive requirements of the old regime. One of the requirements was that a copy of the overseas scheme rules were provided to the PSO before it could agree to the transfer.

PSO Update No 82 details fully the workings of the new regime. It states that, in the majority of transfer cases, PSO approval will no longer be necessary. Therefore, there will be no need for the overseas scheme to provide a copy of its rules, which was often a stumbling block in organising a transfer.

As long as you were neither a controlling director nor a high earner – that is, had earnings in excess of the earnings cap – in relation to the UK scheme, there will be no need for you to submit an application to the PSO prior to the transfer.

You will need to contact your UK pension scheme administrators asking if they would be happy to make a payment to an overseas scheme. Generally speaking, as long as the rules of the UK scheme permit transfers to overseas arrangements, there is no reason why they should have any objections to making such a payment.

Of course, your current employer&#39s scheme will need to be capable of receiving such a transfer payment and this is obviously an issue which you will need to raise with them before taking matters further. Practice varies from country to country and it would be best to obtain their agreement first in writing. Other requirements before a transfer can take place are as follows:

Pension benefits must not have commenced under the UK scheme.

The transfer value will be subject to the normal limit regarding transfers from UK schemes. Specifically, it should not exceed the present value of the Inland Revenue maximum benefits under that scheme.

You must have left the UK with no intention to move back.

You must be employed abroad with an employer&#39s pension scheme.

You must not have any employment arrangements within the UK, be it employed or self-employed.

The list is not exhaustive but covers most of the main points the PSO would need to have in place before the transfer can proceed. The UK scheme administrators will be extremely wary about releasing a transfer payment without assurances from you that all the above apply.

The PSO will apply random checks on cases. If this case is reviewed and it appears that the administrators did not obtain adequate proof of your situation, there is a risk the UK scheme will lose its exempt approved status. This will be of an enormous significance – particularly for big company schemes – and therefore the administrators will take extreme care in assessing the transfer.

As long as you can provide adequate documentation supporting the above points, the administrators of your existing scheme should be helpful.

On the question of whether you should transfer, this is considerably more complicated. A transfer overseas will almost certainly involve a fundamental change in the format of your pension scheme. For example, your UK benefits may be defined in relation to your salary and service with that employer, that is, in a final-salary arrangement. Such schemes are rare abroad and they are more likely to be set up on a money-purchase basis where you have a pool of money and your future pension will depend on investment returns and annuity rates.

You will be best advised to have a comprehensive assessment of the advantages and disadvantages of each route prior to your decision. This would normally concentrate on the investment growth required in the overseas scheme in order to provide similar benefits.

To further complicate matters, the format of benefits when drawn under the overseas scheme may differ greatly from those of the UK scheme. For example, the over-

seas scheme may not permit a tax-free lump sum or alternatively allow a far greater tax-free lump sum than the UK scheme making a comparison more difficult. There may also be a differing tax treatment between the two incomes.

Overall, this is a particularly complicated situation where you would be best advised to take advice from someone with specific experience in this area.


WP survey slams free-asset ratios

The UK&#39s top with-profits life offices are Britannic Assurance, Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society and Teachers, according to a new survey by Cazalet Financial Consulting. All three life offices get 10 marks out of 10 in the survey which uses a new system designed by Cazalet. Equitable Life was rated before it closed to new business […]

IFAs are urged to grasp chance in trustee advice

IFAs should seize the opportunity to provide investment advice to the trustees of trust funds following the introduction of the Trustee Act 2000 last month, says Scottish Mutual International. The insurer says the act has generated more investment possibilities for trustees than previously available by lifting restrictions on the types of investments permitted under the […]

John Stones – Money Marketing&#39s feature writer at the House of Commons

If you like tractor driving, swilling whisky, having a gamble and, erm, procreating, this was the Budget for you.So a prudent budget? In perhaps what was an attempt to atone for some of the unsavoury associations, Gordon Brown also promised that repairs to churches would attract a reduced rate of VAT.Oh, and the miners. Sorry […]


6.2 PEP CHANGES Following the pre-Budget report announcement, draft regulations have been issued which will make changes to the PEP rules from 6 April 2001. These regulations include the following: Abolition of the distinction between general and single company PEPs. In effect a single company PEP will be treated as a general PEP which means […]

Childcare - thumbnail

Three questions for employers…

The Family and Childcare Trust’s annual survey has been widely reported in the media and the two headline figures were these: the average cost of a nursery place for a child under two has risen by 33 per cent since 2010; and the costs have risen by five per cent in a single year.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm