View more on these topics

Old Mutual Wealth eyes 2017 float as US sale nears


Old Mutual is planning to float its UK wealth division in 2017 as its break-up plan gathers pace.

The FT reports the group will sell 10 per cent of Old Mutual Wealth through an IPO, with the remaining 90 per cent distributed to shareholders through listings in London and Johannesburg.

US asset management business Old Mutual Asset Management is close to a sale to New York-listed Affiliated Managers Group, the newspaper adds.

The South African firm revealed in March it would split its four business following a strategic review.

US private equity groups are reportedly circling the wealth division.

Remaining parts of the group are set to be relocated back to South Africa with a focus on insurance and investment in emerging markets, particulary Africa.

An Old Mutual statement says: “Old Mutual can confirm that it is continuing to assess the options available to it with regard to the preferred route to effect the managed separation announced on 11 March 2016.

“We will update the market as and when appropriate. As a consequence of the decision to proceed with the managed separation of Old Mutual, we expect to receive interest in our assets periodically.

“With regard to OM Asset Management, Old Mutual confirms that it has received approaches from third parties to acquire its stake in OMAM.

“There can be no certainty that these approaches will lead to any transaction or any certainty as to the terms on which any such transaction might proceed.”



Old Mutual Wealth hires new chief operating officer

Old Mutual Wealth has appointed Steven Braudo as chief operating officer to take over from Paul Penney who assumed the role in January. Penney joined Old Mutual Wealth in 2012 as chief information officer and will leave the company later this year. Braudo, who has 23 years’ experience in the South African financial services industry, […]


Old Mutual Wealth boosted by 80% surge in Q1 inflows

Old Mutual Wealth has seen net client cash flows increase by 80 per cent for Q1 year-on-year. The provider recorded inflows of £1.8bn, up from £1bn in Q1 2015. Old Mutual attributed the change to strong sales into its UK platform and investment division – gross sales increased by 17 per cent from £4.6bn to […]

Platforum head of intermediary research Miranda Seath

Platform focus: Old Mutual Wealth is at a critical juncture

Old Mutual Wealth has been attracting column inches since South African parent company Old Mutual Group announced it would split into four different businesses by 2018: a South African bank, an African insurer, a US asset manager and a UK-based wealth manager. As the Old Mutual group looks to consciously uncouple from its UK wealth […]

FAMR – a familiar response

Pension specialist Fiona Tait takes a look at the Financial Advice Market Review and assesses the three areas where it suggests improvements can be made With significant budget changes ruled out (for a while anyway), the pension community briefly turned its attention to the FCA’s final report on its Financial Advice Market Review (FAMR), hoping […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm