View more on these topics

Old Mutual Wealth appoints head of new financial adviser school

Old Mutual Wealth 2014

Old Mutual Wealth has appointed Darren Smith to head up its newly acquired Financial Adviser School.

The firm announced it would be purchasing the school from Sesame for an undisclosed sum in October 2015.

Smith joined Old Mutual Wealth’s network Intrinsic in 2013 after previously holding roles at Sesame Bankhall Group, Berkeley Berry Birch, EQI Consultancy, Sage Financial Services, and IFA Network.

The school aims to train over 100 students a year to obtain the level four financial planning qualification over a nine to 10 month course.

Students pay around £8,500 and will study towards the Institute of Financial Services Diploma in Financial Advice. Loans charging zero interest are also available.

Smith says: “I believe that this is a great career for good quality people, and that this is a great time to become a financial adviser when customer demand has never been higher.

“Trust between advisers and their clients is crucial. The Financial Adviser School therefore has a duty to ensure that future financial advisers are not just fully qualified, but truly focussed on delivering good customer outcomes throughout the advice and ongoing service process.

“I’m committed to developing a proposition that will bring new advisers into the industry, able to deliver quality financial advice that existing and new customers can really trust.”

Old Mutual Wealth chief distribution officer Richard Freeman adds: “The Financial Adviser School is a big investment from Old Mutual Wealth and a real demonstration of our commitment to supporting high quality, professional face-to-face advice.”


Old Mutual Wealth 2014

Old Mutual faces shareholder rebellion over ‘unusual’ £9m pay deal

Some of the biggest shareholders in Old Mutual are considering voting against a proposed pay deal for the Old Mutual chief executive which would see him paid 1,000 per cent of base salary. The Financial Times reports Bruce Hemphill’ base salary is proposed at £900,000, making the maximum payout £9m under a long-term incentive plan […]


Old Mutual Wealth eyes 2017 float as US sale nears

Old Mutual is planning to float its UK wealth division in 2017 as its break-up plan gathers pace. The FT reports the group will sell 10 per cent of Old Mutual Wealth through an IPO, with the remaining 90 per cent distributed to shareholders through listings in London and Johannesburg. US asset management business Old […]


Old Mutual Wealth hires new chief operating officer

Old Mutual Wealth has appointed Steven Braudo as chief operating officer to take over from Paul Penney who assumed the role in January. Penney joined Old Mutual Wealth in 2012 as chief information officer and will leave the company later this year. Braudo, who has 23 years’ experience in the South African financial services industry, […]

William Littlewood “betting that QE won’t work”

Journalist Alexis Xydias interviews Artemis manager William Littlewood about his views on bond, equity and currency markets and the impact of a Greek exit from the EU. With bond yields at “ludicrous” levels, William believes a tipping point for bond markets is sure to come. As a result, his Strategic Assets Fund holds government bond shorts to the tune of 100 per […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm