View more on these topics

Octopus takes Aim

Octopus Investments is raising up to £10m each for its Aim VCT and Aim VCT 2 venture capital trusts.

Until recently, the firm had four Aim VCTs but has reduced this to two following the mergers of the Aim VCT with the Octopus Phoenix VCT and the second Aim VCT with the IHT Aim VCT. The firm felt that the interests of new and existing investors would be best served by creating two bigger VCTs that would reduce costs through economies of scale. The firm also says the newly merged VCTs also have an increased ability to maintain liquidity for dividends and share buy-backs, and provide greater diversity due to their size.

The VCTs will use the proceeds from this top-up to benefit from rallies in valuations and smaller company performance as economic growth takes off in the UK. It believes investor risk appetite will return once there is greater
 confidence in the UK economy’s move out of recession.

The AIM VCTs are managed by Andrew Buchanan and Kate Tidbury, who joined Octopus from Close Investments in 2008. They will invest for income and growth in a portfolio comprising 80 per cent small unquoted UK companies across a range of sectors that trade on Aim or Plus markets, or those that are expected to trade on these markets in the short to medium term. The remaining 20 per cent can be invested in a UK smaller companies fund managed by Octopus or directly in equities and bonds to provide liquidity.

The VCTs could be attractive because they provide immediate exposure to an existing portfolio, unlike new VCTs or C-share offers. Octopus says the recent increase in takeover
 activity highlights the value in the Aim market. It believes Aim and Plus companies are similar to emerging markets, without any of the currency or political risk associated with overseas investment.

However, VCTs can only invest in firms which have gross assets of less than £7m and less than 50 employees, which could restrict choice when investing new money.


Jupiter to launch global emerging markets fund

Jupiter is to launch a Ucits III fund investing in global emerging markets for Kathryn Langridge. Scheduled for launch in November, the fund will aim to achieve long-term capital growth through companies that are either listed in emerging markets or in developed markets but have exposure to emerging markets. Langridge will focus on high quality […]

The coalition’s common-sense cuts

An 80 per cent cut in the annual pension savings limit would not normally be cause for celebration but these are not normal times. The pensions annual allowance is to be cut to £50,000 from April next year but in reality these changes had already bitten for most of those affected. Anti-forestalling rules have frozen […]

MMR will not shut people out of the market, says FSA

The mortgage market review is not a “knee-jerk reaction” to the financial crisis, says FSA director of conduct policy Sheila Nicoll. Speaking at a round table hosted by thinktank the Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation last week , Nicoll said the FSA has always been comm-itted to reviewing the mortgage rules that were […]

Martin Foden discusses how convenience is affecting the construction of fixed income portfolios

In this short video, Martin Foden, head of credit research at Royal London Asset Management, discusses how convenience is affecting the construction of fixed income portfolios. Watch the video in full The value of investments and the income from them is not guaranteed and may go down as well as up and investors may not […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm