View more on these topics

Noble EIS goes for a pint

Noble & Company is aiming to raise £8.8m through a second share issue for the capital pub company enterprise investment scheme (EIS).

This EIS will use the money raised to broaden its existing portfolio of five pubs. It will buy 15 more pubs within the M25 area and will also make improvements to the pubs it already runs. Around 75 per cent of the public houses will be freehold, while the remaining 25 per cent will be leasehold.

The first share offering in February 2001 raised £7.8m and a further £8.8m to finance 15 more public houses would allow the EIS to negotiate discounted deals with their suppliers. This could increase profit margins for the benefit of investors.

The company&#39s board of directors includes David Bruce, founder of the Firkin pub chain and Clive Watson, who helped establish the Tup Inns pub chain. They believe there is a gap in the market for local pubs that are not part of a chain or tied to a specific brewery. Instead, the capital pub company will develop and manage pubs on an individual basis to serve local people in London. The target premises will be alcohol-led, although some food is likely to be available.

This EIS could benefit from breweries such as Whitbread and Scottish & Newcastle selling off pubs, but there is still no guarantee that suitable buying opportunities can be found. It could interest high-net-worth clients who want to defer capital gains tax, but they would need to be aware of the high risks of investing in an unquoted company like the capital pub company. Investors might also find it difficult to get out of the investment because there is nowhere to trade the shares.


Mortgage Express five-year fixed

Mortgage Express five-year fixed Type: FixedFixed term: Until 3 June 2007Fixed rate: 6.49%Minimum loan: £40,000Maximum loan: £500,000 up to 50% LTV, 90% LTV up to £250,000Income multiples: 3.25 principal plus 1 or 2.75 x joint (employed); 3.5 x principal plus 1 or 2.75 x joint (self-employed)Arrangement fee: £325Redemption fee: Six month&#39s interest at underlying variable […]

Royal & SunAlliance International Financial Services – R&SAIM European Balanced Yield Bond Fund

Wednesday, March 27, 2002Type: Offshore fundAim: Income and growth by investing in investment grade and highyield bondsMinimum investment: Lump sum £15,000Place of registration: Isle of ManInvestment split: Investment grade bonds 50%, high yield bonds50%Yield: 8.5% gross a yearIsa link: NoCharges: Initial 0.5% a quarter for six quarters, annual 0.8% for firstfive yearsCommission: Initial 5%Tel: 01624 […]

Remortgages fall from new year&#39s record level

Despite a decline in remortgaging, sales of mortgages remained strong in February, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders.The monthly survey by the CML and the Depart-ment of Transport, Local Government and the Reg-ions reveals that remortgaging fell to £5bn from its record level of £5.6bn in January. It now accounts for 38 per cent […]

Kreis Consulting – Tomahawk Pubs plc

Wednesday, 27 March 2002 Type: Enterprise investment scheme Aim: Growth by investing in up to 11 pubs within the M25 Minimum investment: Lump sum £3,000 Opening/closing dates: March 15, 2002 &#45 April 5, 2002 for 2001/2002 tax year, April 6, 2002 &#45 October 31, 2002 for 2002/2003 tax year Charges: Implicit Commission: Initial 2.5% Tel: […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm