View more on these topics

NIBI goes for optimum returns

NIB International is adding to the hedge fund market with the introduction of its optimum return fund.

The fund is an open-ended investment company (Oeic) based in the Isle of Man. It is aimed at two types of investor. The first is the experienced, sophisticated high-net-worth investor with at least $25,000 to invest and who is comfortable with a high-risk investment. The second is the institutional investor, such as pension fund trustees or banks. The Oeic is available to clients in both the UK and offshore.

Optimum return has been structured as a fund of hedge funds and will invest in wide spread of between 30 and 35 hedge funds. Up to 70 per cent of the funds will have long or short strategies and the remaining 30 per cent will cover merger arbitrage and market neutral strategies.

Although based in the Isle of Man, the fund’s investments will be managed by a six strong team in London, headed by Brendan Robertson. Robertson heads the multi-manager part of the company and has worked for NIB International since 1996.

Compared to the recently introduced GAIM hedge fund, the NIB International fund is more restrictive in terms of strategies. The GAIM product is a fund of hedge funds that invests in up to 20 hedge funds covering four strategies, including macro, market neutral, long and short equities and event driven. It also has a lower initial investment level of $10,000, making it more accessible.

According to Standard & Poor’s of the 10 NIB International funds on the market, two are first quartile, three are second quartile and five are third quartile, based on £1,000 invested on a bid-to-bid basis with gross income reinvested over one year to September 24, 2001.


Keep it in the family

In recent weeks, I have been looking at the theme of starting up a business in one&#39s latter years. Now, I would like to look closer at some of the strategies that involve one&#39s own family in the business. Planning should be aimed at:Minimising tax and National Insurance on income.Maximising the overall benefits received by […]

Standard chief says tax rethink would boost PMI

The Government should reform taxes to encourage more individuals and companies to take out private medical cover, Standard Life Healthcare managing director Mike Hall told the conference. Hall urged the Government to provide tax all-owances to people taking out PMI to ease the burden on the NHS. He suggested three ways that taxes could be […]

Watchdog Merricks sees endowment trouble ahead

Chief financial ombudsman Walter Merricks is expecting further endowment shortfalls as a result of troubled markets, which he says will result in increased complaints.In an interview with Money Marketing, Merricks said: “Reprojections will no doubt be at lower surrender values, opening a larger shortfall, which will encourage more complaints.”The Financial Ombudsman Service says mortgage endowment […]

Watchdog Merricks defends polarisation

Chief financial ombudsman Walter Merricks has defended polarisation, claiming scrapping it in favour of multi-ties would “muddy the waters”, leaving consumers confused about who to complain to if things go wrong. Speaking at the Institute of Financial Planning Conference, Merricks also said the “industry is getting exhausted” with ongoing consultations from the Treasury and the […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm