View more on these topics

Newton widens doors on phoenix fund

Newton Investment Management has made its institutional Newton phoenix fund available to retail investors.

The fund, which invests in a range of asset classes, was originally designed for Newtons private wealth management clients. It aims to generate absolute returns with low volatility by investing directly in a portfolio of equities, bonds and cash, while also gaining indirect exposure to alternative asset classes such as property, private equity, gold and hedge funds.

Hedge fund exposure will be provided by investment in quoted funds of hedge funds, property will be accessed through property companies and investment trusts, private equity exposure will come from investment trusts and gold will be accessed through exchanged traded funds.

The fund has a target return of at least 2 per cent above cash over rolling three-year periods. Around 77 per cent of the fund is denominated in sterling while the remaining 23 per cent is denominated in dollars, euros, yen and Swiss francs. Non-sterling investments in bonds and hedge funds will be hedged back in sterling, but currency hedging will not apply to the other asset classes.

Allowing retail investors into a fund which has exposure to a wide range of non-correlated asset classes gives them the kind of diversification options that institutions have been enjoying for years. Each asset class performs differently so if market conditions change there should always be an asset class that is doing well.

However, this funds lack of Isa and Pep transfer options, plus a relatively high minimum investment of 10,000 means it is likely to appeal to the higher-net worth end of the market.

The fund will not provide as much growth as pure equity funds for some investors, this will be a sacrifice worth making as lower growth prospects are compensated by reduced volatility and lower risk.


RIRC welcomes Turner addition

The Retirement Income Reform Campaign has welcomed the Governments addition of the compulsory annuitisation rule at 75 to the Turner commission.The RIRC has campaigned for five years to secure this legislative reform in four private members bills and during the debate on the Pensions Act 2004.RIRC director Dr Oonagh McDonald CBE says: “There is now […]

Sipp building

I have over 100,000 in three personal pensions with different providers. I am interested in setting up a self-invested personal pension with a possible view to future property purchase. What are the advantages and disadvantages of transferring my existing funds to the Sipp?

Lost in translation

A question of interpretation on offshore portfolio bonds could see a tax shock for investors.

Highbury Financial Services fined 35,000 for misleading financial promotions

The FSA has fined penny share tipping company Highbury Financial Services Limited 35,000 for the publication of misleading financial promotions.The fine was for three promotions entitled “The 25 Shares Most Likely to Double in 2004”.The FSA found these promotions which were published in two national newspapers and one national journal, posed a risk to customers […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm