View more on these topics

Nationwide bond goes globe trotting

Nationwide has unleashed another issue of its guaranteed equity bond, which is linked to four stockmarkets over a six-year term.

The bond returns the original capital to investors whatever happens to the FTSE 100, Nikkei 225, Eurostoxx 50 and S&P 500 indices. The original capital is exposed equally to the indices, which were chosen to provide a wide geographical spread, rather than concentrating growth potential in one region.

To calculate the final returns, the closing level of each index is recorded at the start of the term and again each year. During each anniversary, any rise or fall in each index is added together to produce an average. There is a 15 per cent cap placed on gains and losses each year. A maximum of 15 per cent each year for six years gives a maximum total return of 90 per cent, so investors must give up the remaining 10 per cent growth potential to pay for the capital guarantee.

The bond is likely to interest cautious investors who are wary of direct stockmarket investment because of the risk it poses to capital and who are willing to tie up their capital for six years. Growth potential of 90 per cent is high compared to similar products, such as Bristol & West&#39s six-year guaranteed equity bond. This offers 80 per cent growth across three indices, the FTSE 100, Nikkei 225 and Eurostoxx 50 indices.

However, Nationwide&#39s linking of returns to four indices may increase the risk of an underperforming index pulling down the returns produced by the others and some investors would feel more comfortable with linking returns to a single, familiar index such as the FTSE 100.


Outside Edge: John Cowan

Happy birthday, stakeholder pensions? A birthday card you won&#39t be receiving from LloydsTSB wealth management service CreateAnother big idea that did not work despite all that capability/cash and customers. The missing C must have been credibility. Even the wealthiest customers hesitate to engage with this service from the UK&#39s most successful bank.Think how much more […]

75th franchisee for Mortgageforce

Broker franchise group Mortgageforce claims to have achieved a staggering first year with the recent appointment of its 75th franchisee.Mortgageforce says it has successfully established a place in the market on the philosophy that franchisees are in business for themselves but not by themselves as they get support from Mortgageforce.It says franchisees are helped every […]

The national wealth service

Having money in the bank comes before “keeping up with the Joneses”, according to a survey by Marks & Spencer Financial Services.Of the 2,000 people surveyed, 44 per cent said having more cash or money to invest would make them feel well off. Only 6 per cent felt that not being overdrawn was an indicator […]

Baillie Gifford expands retail range

Baillie Gifford has expanded its range of retail funds by opening up its institutional developed Asia pacific fund to the IFA market.This Oeic has been available to institutional investors since June 2001 and focuses on four countries — Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Singapore. It aims for growth by investing in companies listed on […]

A DGT with 100% access and 100% discount?

Clare Moffat, Technical Manager, looks at the benefits of pensions from an IHT perspective. 100% access and 100% discount – what type of wrapper could this be? A pension! Post flexibility there is 100% access (for those over 55) and normally pensions are inheritance tax (IHT) free. With flexibility the options available on death mean […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm