View more on these topics

MPs told councils should refer care funding queries to IFAs

Councils should refer people who fund their own long term care needs to independent financial advisers, according to Partnership managing director for care Chris Horlick.

Under current rules, people with assets of more than £23,250 are not entitled to means tested help from the Government toward the cost of their long term care. The Dilnot commission proposes raising that threshold to £100,000.

Giving evidence to the Health select committee on long term care funding this morning, Horlick said local authorities are often seen as the “gatekeepers” for care but that from work the firm had been doing with 20 councils they way they treated people who pay for their own services is “appalling”.

He said: “The clue is in the question, if you are a self funder you might need help with your funding so some independent financial advice at that point might be useful.

“It is a real opportunity for local authorities to serve citizens better and save themselves some money if they took the step of when a self funder presents themselves rather than sending them away with an almost useless leaflet they actually refer them to someone who might be able to help them.”

Horlick told MPs there was significant demand for information on funding long term care, quoting research carried out by Partnership which found there were 29 million Google searches a year for the term “how do I pay my care fees”.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 5 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. The caption should actually read;
    ‘Mp’s told councils should refer POISON CHALICE queries to IFAs’
    Whatever advice we give, some rosset at the FSA, years down the line will tell us we got it wrong and come after us.
    To be honest I’d rather handle a vial of ebola virus….with no mask or boiler suit.

  2. Totally agree. The number of times I hear people being told that they have to sell their house by their local authority is appalling.

  3. Chris you are absolutly correct, the best advise is get an address in Scotland then it all comes free!!!!
    Obviously the MP’s (not military police) havn’t kept it touch with the RDR and the reduction in the number of IFA’s who will be charging for that advise!!!

  4. Rod
    Regretably it’s not ‘all free’ in Scotland. Please look it up

  5. Don’t be stupid, the Public Sector referring business the Private Sector without a huge back hander – don’t make me laugh

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm