View more on these topics

Millfield maps out strategy for expansion

Millfield Group is launching a new division, Millfield Associated Partnerships, as part of ambitious plans to grow the national IFA over three years.

From June 1, Millfield says MAP will create a blueprint for the industry by letting the company expand through taking equity stakes in small IFA firms while avoiding the risks and costs involved in fully acquiring firms. In return, IFA firms targeted by MAP will receive an equity share in the new division.

It aims to grow MAP to 50 firms and 350 advisers by 2004.

Millfield believes that taking a stake in smaller firms will help them grow and cope with increasing industry pressures such as reduced margins, increased consolidation, new complex products and lower commission levels.

MAP will carry out due diligence checks on targeted IFAs wanting to be part of the group. It will work out three-year business plans with them, decide how much it wants to invest in the firm and what level of equity the firm will take in MAP.

Firms becoming part of MAP will have to use Millfield corporate branding while Millfield will take responsibility for training, compliance, marketing and IT support.

Millfield says MAP firms retain ownership of their clients and are free to leave at any time, which it claims distinguishes it from IFA networks.

Northern Ireland-based IFA Armstrong Anderson Partners, with 14 advisers, is the first firm to become part of MAP.

MAP national development director Mike Ahern says: “MAP offers independents a way to continue to grow their business both in capital value as well as turnover and to benefit from the support, technical and product expertise as well as regulatory responsibility provided by Millfield.”


Vast improvements in Assuresoft&#39s new software

Assuresoft is launching a new software solution which speeds up getting products on the internet. The Vast package, which stands for Value Added Service Technology, is endorsed by Microsoft and enables products to be put on the internet for transaction simply and quickly. The software is aimed at large organisations expecting high volumes of transactions […]

More variations on the survival blueprint theme

It seems every couple of months we get another blueprint for the future of the IFA market. The amount and scope of these plans is always amazing, as no one actually knows what will be the result of the FSA&#39s Treasury-influenced second-stage review of polarisation, which could throw even the best laid plans into disarray […]

Varying Shades of grey

During the run up to the general election, the campaign teams of all the main parties have been canvassing elderly voters in an attempt to win the all-important grey vote. One of the main reasons for this is that turnout at this election is expected to be dismally low and it would appear that the […]

Lynx buys rest of PMS in drive on IFA sector

Software and computer services firm Lynx has snapped up Portfolio Mem-ber Services as part of its drive to become the leading provider of services to IFAs. Lynx originally took a 51 per cent share in PMS when it acquired Bankhall in May last year and has bought the remaining 49 per cent to wholly-own the […]

Europe: Volatile share prices create opportunities for long-term investors

Mark Page and Laurent Millet, managers of the Artemis European Opportunities Fund, look at why, how and where fluctuations in European markets can generate opportunities for their fund. When asked what the stock market would do next, John Pierpont Morgan is reported to have replied that “it will fluctuate”. His (apocryphal) answer proved accurate. Over […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm