View more on these topics

Merchant Investors and Royal London 360 create offshore bond

Merchant Investors has teamed up with Isle of Man-based Royal London 360 to establish the MI offshore bond.

This unit-linked offshore bond has a £50,0000 minimum investment and is designed to be flexible in terms of its investment choice, charges and IFA commission structure.

Investors can choose from the Pinnacle range of 119 unit-linked funds from 25 fund management groups and their IFAs can create their own range of distributor influenced funds though the Zest Solutions option. These funds are established on a bespoke basis to meet the needs and risk profiles of an adviser’s client base.

Investors also have an open architecture option known as customised selection, which provides access to unit trusts, Oeics, investment trusts and sterling cash deposits that the FSA allows within its permitted linking rules. Unregulated funds and funds investing substantially in UK property cannot be held. A discretionary investment management option is also available for investors who choose customized selection.

Investments in the bond will grow free from income and capital gains tax and fund switches will not trigger a capital gains tax liability. The bond allows investors to defer tax on any gains they make, which gives them control over when they pay their tax. For example, a higher rate taxpayer may defer paying tax until they pay a lower rate of income tax.

A range of trusts such as discretionary gift trust, discretionary discounted gift trust and Isle of Man probate trust, is available to help investors with IHT planning.

Investors can make cash withdrawals on a regular basis or a lump sum, up to 7.5 per cent of the value of the initial investment each year. Regular withdrawals may be monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly and may be a fixed amount or a percentage of investments paid into the bond.

Withdrawals above 5 per cent a year may give rise to an income tax charge but a 5 per cent a year allowance is available for the first 20 years, which is cumulative. This means that if investors do not use the 5 per cent allowance in year one, 10 per cent can be taken in the second year and so on. Any unused allowance can be carried forward beyond year 20.

IFAs and their clients may welcome Merchant Investors’ investment choice, flexibility and commitment to a good administrative service, but costs may be an issue where the customised selection option is chosen.


Invesco focuses on yield initially for tactical bond fund

Invesco Perpetual is developing its closed and open-ended fund ranges with a strategic bond fund and possible changes to its forthcoming split-capital trust. The company will launch a tactical bond fund for fixed-income co-heads Paul Causer and Paul Read on February 1. The fund will adopt an unconstrained strategy, allowing it to invest across the […]

Quest for quality

Make new entrants the financial planners of tomorrow

Securities certificate available to schools

The Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment’s certificate will be available to students at secondary schools and colleges from September. The qualification, an introduction to securities and investment, has two units covering bonds, derivatives and financial services regulation and a research-based project com- ponent. The certificate has received a Ucas tariff, which allocates points to […]

Passport - thumbnail

Thinking of expanding overseas?

Whether you’re a small company or an established larger employer, expanding overseas into emerging markets can be an extremely attractive prospect for growing your business. However, with this comes a duty-of-care requirement to any staff based overseas.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm