View more on these topics

Linda Smith: Advisers will need consumer credit licence to advise on debts

For the minority of advisers who advise on debt, a consumer credit licence will now be required


If you are a regular reader of these technical pages you may recall my piece published in November 2012, which highlighted some of the concerns advisers had regarding consumer credit.

Since then APFA has discussed the issues with the FCA and has also taken advice from consumer credit lawyers.

We are now in the process of drafting a guidance note for members based on these discussions.

The guidance note will look at what activities require a consumer credit permission and what activities do not. 

In particular, in relation to adviser charging where payments are
spread and the provision of debt counselling.   

When the FCA takes over responsibility for consumer credit on 1 April, advisers ignoring the rules will not just be subject to regulatory enforcement action.

In FSMA, regulated firms acting outside of their permissions are generally only committing a rule breach, for instance an nvestment firm giving mortgage advice without permissions is in breach of the FCA’s rules.

However, consumer credit is treated more seriously. Anyone undertaking consumer credit activity without the relevant permissions will be deemed to be committing a criminal offence.

Notwithstanding this, we do not believe it is right that firms should hold consumer credit permissions because of uncertainty about whether the service that they provide falls into scope.   

We believe that firms holding consumer credit permission on a precautionary basis should consider whether they need to.

There are two common reasons firms have said they have a licence. The first is because of uncertainty over adviser charging, which I covered in my earlier column. The second is debt counselling.

A firm that provides a broad financial planning service may encounter clients with debt and so may run the risk of getting into the territory of debt counselling.

While most clients who are seeking to invest will be debt-free, it is possible that advisers will see some from time to time, for example where someone has suddenly come into money such as an inheritance.

It is all right to provide generic advice, such as: ‘It is sensible to pay down your debts as a priority’, but specific advice about particular debts is debt counselling. Similarly, considering debts and recommending solutions, such as consolidation, is a consumer credit activity.

Interestingly, the FCA has recently confirmed to us that financial planning that took account of mortgage debt would not constitute debt counselling but may well require the relevant mortgage permission.

You may still wish to hold the relevant consumer credit permission to be sure but we don’t believe it is a must for these activities. While the boundaries are not as clear as they should be, we believe the pitfalls of not holding a consumer credit permission can be avoided if firms put the right business processes in place. 

It is beyond the scope of this article to cover all eventualities. This is why we are preparing a guidance note based on discussions with the FCA, which will be available to members shortly.    

Linda Smith is senior technical adviser at the Association of Professional Financial Advisers



Nic Cicutti: Heading towards the next financial scandal

When I first ventured into the world of personal pensions I was a naive 30-something journalist – a condition some readers might feel has not changed greatly, despite my advancing years. Be that as it may, our profession is meant to consist of cynical swine. Moreover, by the time I started paying into my first […]


Kim North: Hard auto-enrol choices that need advice

The majority of my previous week was spent dealing with pension matters. Therefore I watched with interest the capping of pension charges debate. My eyebrows raised when I read Money Marketing’s recent news story’s recent news story about how the Government was considering kicking its charge cap reforms into the long grass as they are too […]


SJP set to acquire expat advice business in Far East

St James’s Place is in advanced talks to acquire an international advice business in Asia. According to its year-end results for 2013, published today, the firm it is trying to acquire has an existing team of advisers in Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai and specialises in offering advice to expatriates in the Far East. Profits […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 3 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. Matthew Rodhouse 3rd March 2014 at 5:46 pm

    Thanks for this, Linda.

    The FCA’s just-released Perimeter Guidance material (PERG 17.7), however, shows a very low bar for debt counselling. It gives two examples of debt counselling:
    * giving budgetary advice in which the adviser advises the debtor to reduce discretionary spending to a set amount each month to enable the debtor to pay off a certain amount of a large credit card bill each month; and
    * advising a debtor to consolidate his unsecured debts into a single regulated mortgage contract when the adviser is unable to advise on which mortgage contract the debtor should enter into or which mortgage lender to use.

    Both of these are regulated debt counselling. Note that, according to the FCA, this is not new regulation; it is a read-over from the existing Consumer Credit Act 1974 and OFT position.

    I look forward to your technical guidance. In the meantime, my firm has provisonally registered for the debt counselling permission.

  2. But my question is why should a highly qualified adviser subject to another regulatory regime be required to hold an expensive licence for what is a small albeit essential activity? They are far better qualified than the majority of unregulated personnel.
    I guess the answer is because the law says so – but that does not make it right and brings the law (regulation) into disrepute.
    I agree with you Matthew, all advisers should have had a CCL in the past as we have.

  3. Linda, please clarify something – does an individual (who is not an Insolvency Practitioner) now require a consumer credit licence in order to provide insolvency/debt advice to a limited company under the new regs and how would the situation have differred 3 years ago under the old regime? Phil Daly

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm