View more on these topics

L&G tracks the pensions market

Legal & General is going for the older end of the market with the introduction of the global equity index fund.

The product is a pension fund aimed at people who are looking for a core-satellite strategy for their pension fund. This is a strategy that has the bulk of its investment in tracker funds, with the rest in an actively managed fund, so that the risk is spread about.

A total of 70 per cent of the fund will invest in the Legal & General UK equity index fund, which tracks the FTSE all share index. The remaining 30 per cent is invested in a broad spread of Legal & General overseas equity pension funds, ranging from the US to Europe and Japan.

There is also a lifestyle option. This comes into action five years before the client retires and transfers a set proportion of the pension fund into fixed interest and cash funds every year. This reduces the risk of the fund being hit by a last minute stockmarket crash.

Tracker funds are suitable for an investor who does not want an actively managed fund. However although they can be good long-term investments, they can follow an index down as well as up, giving them mixed performance during a period of stockmarket turbulence.

According to Standard & Poor’s the Legal & General UK equity index fund is ranked 105 out of 228 funds, based on £1,000 invested on a bid-to-bid basis with net income reinvested over three years to March 26, 2001.


Mortgage lending strengthens in February

Mortgage lending by banks and building societies showed steady growth in February. The monthly survey by the Council of Mortgage Lenders shows a rise in gross lending in February to £163.9.5bn from £163.9.4bn in January, significantly above the £163.7.9bn for the same period last year. The CML says average interest rates hit their lowest levels […]

First National brings in self-cert discount

First National Mortgage Company has introduced the 2.5 per cent discounted fresh start mortgage.The mortgage is aimed at homebuyers who are self-employed and who have difficulty in proving their income. Either first time buyers or people who are looking to remortgage can apply for the mortgage.Fresh start has a 2.5 per cent discount, giving it […]

Johnson&#39s view undermines PIA requirement

What excellent news from Melanie Johnson that stakeholder pensions can be bought without taking advice (Money Marketing, March 22).This means IFAs do not need to provide advice about stakeholder when discussing retirement provision with clients but instead will be within their rights to say that stakeholder pensions exist and clients should go and find out […]

Rates and measures

Given that there was so little fundamental change in the Budget, I thought it might be opportune to revisit the area of income tax. Changes to allowances and thresholds may be seen as so mundane that the planning opportunities are likely to be overlooked. The starting rate of 10 per cent for 2001/02 applies on […]

European Opportunities: 'It’s nice when stock selection results in a macro tailwind'

Amid significant macro headwinds in August, Mark Page explains why his fund’s focus on stock selection has helped it outperform a falling market in August. BESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswy


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm