View more on these topics

Jupiter goes for distribution

Jupiter has introduced the distribution fund, a unit trust that aims to produce income of 5 per cent a year with the potential for capital growth.

This unit trust invests 65 per cent in corporate bonds and other fixed-interest securities, with the remaining 35 per cent going into high-yielding UK stocks and shares.

The corporate bond element of the portfolio will be run by John Hamilton, who is already running the Jupiter corporate bond fund. He will look mainly for investment-grade corporate bonds, although a smaller number of junk bonds will also be held.

The stocks and shares element of the portfolio will be managed by Tony Nutt, who has been responsible for the Jupiter high income fund since 1996. Nutt will take a value approach to stock selection, going for companies that are trading at what he feels is below their true value. Factors he will consider include business models, how strong a company&#39s dividend yield is and cash flow.

Investors who are looking for a higher source of income than building society accounts may find this an attractive addition to their investment portfolios. However, income of 5 per cent may not be enough to tempt investors with higher risk profiles. This type of investor may prefer to go for high yield bond funds which are better placed than the Jupiter fund to benefit from the high yields brought about by a choppy economic climate.

According to Standard & Poor&#39s, the Jupiter high income fund is ranked one out of 36 funds and the Jupiter corporate bond fund is ranked 10 out of 57 funds based on £1,000 invested on a bid-to-bid basis with net income reinvested over three years to January 25, 2002.

Recommended

Soap plays equity card

As if the scrapping of polarisation was not enough, one of thenation&#39s favour-ite TV soaps has decided to stick the boot into IFAs.Coronation Street&#39s 13.5 million viewers have been watching the IFAfrom hell Richard Hillman dominate story lines.Commentators in the national press have not been slow to drawconnections – one wag asked if FSA chairman […]

Bonus of contention

Millions of homeowners who are rel-ying on with-profits endowmentpolicies to repay their mortgage face an uncertain future. One of theUK&#39s major life companies, Norwich Union, was the first to confirmthat bonuses have been cut this year. The average maturity value of a25-year endowment maturing this year is expected to be 15 per centlower than last […]

Gartmore going for the right blend

Gartmore has unveiled the Gartmore monthly income fund, a unit trustthat aims to produce income of 7.5 per cent a year.The fund will initially invest 70 per cent in high-yield bonds and 30per cent in investment-grade bonds, the aim being to balance highincome and the preservation of capital.The proportion of bonds within the portfolio can […]

Principality Building Society 3 year fixed

Fixed term: until 31/03/05Fixed rate: 5.39%Minimum loan: £5,000 Maximum loan: Up to 95% of valuation for loans of up to £175,000, upto 90% of valuation for loans of up to £200,000 Income multiples: 3.5 times principal income plus 2.5 times jointRedemption fee: 2% of balance until 31/03/05Arrangement fee: noneConditions: up to 95% LTV, daily interest, […]

InFocus - thumbnail

In Focus — February 2015

Jelf Employee Benefits looks at the issue of paying anaesthetist fees when the patient had no chance to discuss or agree to them prior to care; and provides recommendations for avoiding this scenario.

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com