View more on these topics

JC Flowers backs new investment and mortgage business

Private equity investor JC Flowers is backing a new investment and mortgage business, Castle Trust.

Castle Trust will offer investments to retail and institutional investors linked to house prices and top-up mortgages which it says improve affordability for borrowers by lowering their monthly payments.

The firm, which is awaiting FSA authorisation, will offer partnership mortgages, which is a mortgage for 20 per cent of the value of the home. The firm envisages borrowers using the loan to lower their repayments with their primary mortgage lender as they will effectively have a bigger deposit. There are no monthly repayments for the mortgage as the capital of the loan is repaid if the value of the home increases when the borrower sells the property.

Castle Trust will keep 40 per cent of any increase in the property’s value with the borrower keeping the remaining 60 per cent of any increase. If the borrower sells their property at a loss, Castle Trust will share 20 per cent of the loss. The partnership mortgage is only available to borrowers with a 20 per cent deposit and comes with a 0.4 per cent arrangement fee.

The firm will also offer a house price savings account, a fixed term investment product, an income HouSA, which provides a fixed quarterly income, and a growth HouSAs which targets outperforming the Halifax house price index and aims to reduce exposure if prices fall.

Sean Oldfield heads the new firm and is joined by former Treasury chairman and FSA chairman Sir Callum McCarthy (pictured), MP John Gummer, Aifa chairman Lord Deben, former FSA deputy chair Deirdre Hutton and JC Flowers deputy chairman David Morgan.

Oldfield says: “The housing market is the largest asset class in the UK, worth in excess of £4tr, most of which has previously been unavailable to investors. Castle Trust has been designed to help customers with the two most important financial decisions in their lives – investing their savings and buying their home.”


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There is one comment at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. Will this prop up house prices?

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm