View more on these topics

Ivan Massow settles trail commission ad complaint

Trail commission reclaim service Massow’s has agreed with the Advertising Standards Authority to seek pre-approval before making certain statements after an IFA questioned whether the ad’s claims could be substantiated.

Former IFA Ivan Massow launched the Paymemy.com/mission website in September which promises to return 80 per cent of trail commission to clients who are not receiving ongoing advice. The remaining 20 per cent is retained by Massow’s.

A national newspaper ad for the service encouraged clients to recoup trail commission paid. It said: “My mission is to get you back £1,000s in pension and investment commission. It is free money because it is your money!”

The ad goes on to say: “Did you know IFAs can take up to 1.5 per cent of the value of your pension or investments each year, every year regardless of whether or not they give you advice?

An IFA complained about the ad to the ASA, questioning whether the claims could be substantiated.

A spokesman for the ASA says: “Given the ad had a very short run and was no longer appearing and that Massows took the concerns on board and agreed to seek pre-publication advice before making similar claims in the future, we closed the case informally.”

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com