View more on these topics

Ivan Massow settles trail commission ad complaint

Trail commission reclaim service Massow’s has settled a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority after an IFA questioned whether the ad’s claims could be substantiated.

Former IFA Ivan Massow (pictured) launched the website in September, which promises to return 80 per cent of trail commission to clients who are not receiving ongoing advice. The remaining 20 per cent is retained by Massow’s.

A national newspaper ad for the service encouraged clients to recoup trail commission paid in relation to their investments with the lines: “My mission is to get you back £1,000s in pension and investment commission. It is free money because it is your money!”

The ad goes on to say: “Did you know IFAs can take up to 1.5 per cent of the value of your pension or investments each year, every year regardless of whether or not they give you advice?

“Receive more than £60,000 on a typical pension.”

An IFA complained about the ad to the ASA, questioning whether the claims could be substantiated.

A spokesman for the ASA says: “With regards to the informally resolved case involving Massow’s, we received a complaint about its national press ad challenging whether various claims about pension and investment commission were misleading and could be substantiated.

“We approached Massow’s about the concerns that had been raised. Given the ad had a very short run and was no longer appearing and that Massows took the concerns on board and agreed to seek pre-publication advice before making similar claims in the future, we closed the case informally.”

Massow says the ASA’s concerns were based on whether the ad inferred clients could reclaim upfront commission as well as trail commission, and whether the 1.5 per cent trail figure could be substantiated.

He says: “The calculations were not incorrect and the amount we stated people can get was not incorrect. Given that we were not running the ad anymore, there seemed little point in dragging out the case further.”


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 6 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. Mind boggling claims.
    If I’d submitted that to my compliance consultancy for approval, they would have howled with laughter and pinned a copy of the tripe on their office wall to lighten the mood in their office.

  2. Given RDR starts soon, this business can only have a limited shelf-life as trail will gradually fall away anyway, being increasingly replaced by AC.

    The fact they aren’t re-running any more national paper adverts rather suggests something.

  3. He really is a bit of a joke isn’t he.

    However, I bet this won’t be the last we hear of him and his daft and misleading ideas.

  4. He really is a bit of a joke isn’t he.

    However, I bet this won’t be the last we hear of him and his daft and misleading ideas.

  5. 20% commission with no on-going advice issues.

    Chancer comes to mind.

  6. Who gets 1.5% trail – there might be a 1% AMC and the adviser might get 0.5% of that but I’ve never heard of 1.5% – sounds misleading.

Leave a comment


Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm