View more on these topics

It won&#39t do for the watchdog to bark for the FSA on mortgages

The Financial Ombudsman Service wants to bring mortgage advice under its

remit, if it can afford to.

This throws the FSA decision to exclude advice into sharp relief and

introduces all manner of unwelcome anomalies.

At best, it shows the current approach to mortgages is no better than a

bodge job, only serving to confuse the industry and public alike.

But cynics, and this paper in this instance is among them, must ask howthe

FOS will fund this project, even ifit were the best solution.

It is financing that sits at the heart of the problem. The current

voluntary regulator, the Mortgage Code Compliance Board, is trying to work

out how it can perform this voluntary role alongside the FSA&#39s statutory

role for the lenders themselves.

It is at best a poor relation of the FSA and it must face an uphill battle

to convince the lenders which finance it, to continueto stump up the cash.

The question that lenders must be asking themselves is why should they fund

this voluntary operation when they are also required to police

intermediaries themselves as part of product regulation?

The FOS&#39s statement of intent only serves to underline that a yawning

gaphas been left in the Government and regulator&#39s strategy for mortgages.

The decision-makers at the Treasury and the FSA should bite the bullet and

bring the sales and advice process for mortgages in from the cold. That

meansre-examining the FSA&#39s budget and working out a way to pay for it.


Adviser goes for net gains

Premiership hotshot striker Niall Quinn (centre) is used to seeing theback of the net bulge.But IFA Paul Barber (right) of Thompson&#39s Independent Financial PlanningConsultants helps Quinn and his Sunder-land manager Peter Reid (left) keeptheir bank balances bul-ging as well.Barber says: “The football clubs of today are very serious about theirplayers taking good financial advice. They […]

Costs split agreed on watchdog

A deal has been reached between Aifa and the ABI which will see insurersmeet 85 per cent of subscription costs for the new Financial OmbudsmanService.The proposed split will see IFAs paying the remaining 15 per cent. Theagreement is subject to regular review under the principle of “the userpays”.IFAs are responsible for generating slightly morethan 50 […]

Widows, CGU, Clerical win Misys panel places

Super-network Misys has drawn up a list for its stakeholder panel withlife offices Scottish Widows, CGU and Clerical Medical winning the muchsought after places.The panel will initially run with three members but two to five otherplaces are believed to be up for grabs in the near future.Life offices which are said to be vying for […]

FSA must take a slice of the PI

Want to lose your audience entirely? On the basis of seven monthstravelling around the country talking to IFAs on a weekly or twice-weeklybasis, I can reveal that there is one issue which gets the eyelids droopinginstantly.Just utter the magic word Serps and they&#39ve nodded off. Couple ofsentences later and I&#39ve joined them. You&#39ll remember the […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm