View more on these topics

Danby Bloch: Maximising tax breaks on casual earnings

The £1,000 allowances aim to make life simpler and more certain for people with a little income from casual sources.

Two new tax allowances of £1,000 each should help an estimated 700,000 individuals with small amounts of income from providing goods, services, property or other assets.

There is a £1,000 allowance for trading and miscellaneous income and another £1,000 allowance for income from property.

The new trading allowance will cover all kinds of activities, such as babysitting, gardening and hiring personal equipment like power tools. So, you might have a client with fees from a couple of freelance articles that do not amount to more than £1,000, as well as some short-term rent from letting out a garage for a month or two, also for less than £1,000.

That would provide the individual with up to £2,000 a year of tax-free income. The aim is to make life simpler and more certain for people with a little income from such sources.

The allowances were first announced in the 2016 March Budget with the objective of their being introduced this tax year: 2017/18. The necessary legislation was in the original 2017 Finance Bill but it was dropped from the pre-election Finance Act along with many other provisions.

That said, it seems very likely it will be introduced again if the Conservatives return to a position of power after the election fallout.

Find all of Danby Bloch’s latest pieces here

Unlike the dividend allowance, which is effectively a nil-rate band, these two new features of the income tax system will be real allowances and remove the reporting requirement if the income and circumstances qualify.

Individuals will not have to declare or pay tax on the income as long as that income – before taking account of expenses – is less than the relevant allowance. For example, if someone’s gross trading and miscellaneous income does not exceed £1,000, it will normally be covered by the allowance.

However, if their income is more than £1,000, taxpayers will have a choice when calculating their taxable profits. They can either elect to deduct the allowance from their gross receipts or they can deduct their actual allowable expenses in the normal way. They can change their choice every year if they wish. The trading allowance will also apply for Class 4 National Insurance contribution purposes.

The new allowances will not cover income from partnerships carrying on a trade or property business, nor will they cover adjustment income or post-cessation receipts. And it will not be possible to claim the allowances on top of the £7,500 rent-a-room relief for letting part of a main residence. For taxpayers who report their income and expenses from a trade based on the tax year, the trading allowance will take effect for trading income in the period 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018. Otherwise, it will take effect for periods ending on either an accounting date or on whatever other date after 5 April 2017 that forms their basis period for the 2017/18 tax year.

Every little helps

These allowances are not big-ticket items but they will be useful for people who have some casual earnings from speaking or writing, and might otherwise easily forget about them. Some people even turn down the chance of earning small but sporadic sums because of the effort of making a return to HMRC about them.

The very occasional Airbnb operator might be pleased by the property allowance, especially if it is from a property that is not their main residence and is therefore not covered by the (much higher) rent-a-room relief.

Some clients might be tempted to get clever with the allowances but they should be aware of the anti-avoidance provisions. Employers will not be able to treat some payments to employees or anyone “connected” to them (broadly speaking, that is a spouse and immediate family) as trading or miscellaneous income. And there are similar provisions aimed at such income where a partner in a partnership or a participator in a close company is the recipient.

That said, it would still be prudent to keep records of this income, as well as associated expenses. You never know whether the income might exceed the £1,000 at some point during the year or you might be subject to an HMRC query.

HMRC does not expect the new allowances to cost the Exchequer a great deal in the current tax year but by 2018/19, the official estimate is that the aggregate tax savings produced by the allowances could be as much as £235m.

Danby Bloch is chairman at Helm Godfrey



Labour plans tax rises for £80k-plus earners

Labour is proposing tax rises for individuals earning more than £80,000 with the policy move expected to be signed off later this week. The Times reports shadow chancellor John McDonnell has pledged to guarantee a five-year tax freeze for 95 per cent of voters. Labour also plans to rule out changes or increases to national […]

The new (and old) line-up setting pensions and tax policy

Senior pensions and Treasury roles have changed hands in Theresa May’s Cabinet following a reshuffle in the wake of last week’s election. The Cabinet has largely stayed in tact, with Chancellor Philip Hammond and Brexit secretary David Davis among those to hang on to their jobs. But work and pensions secretary Damian Green has been […]

9 October thumbnail

Johnson Fleming set to host webinar on auditing auto-enrolment schemes

With 23 auto-enrolment compliance notices issued by the Pensions Regulator, and an evolving legislative landscape meaning previously compliant schemes may now be in breach of regulation, now is the time to think about auditing your auto-enrolment scheme. Johnson Fleming is hosting a webinar on 9 October at 11:00 on how to audit your scheme to ensure compliance, avoid breaches and fines and overcome data issues.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


There are 3 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. DB – so if someone owns a B2L property on a 90/10 tenants-in-common basis and the 10% rental income amounts to less than £1,000 for a HRT, would they be able to claim the property income allowance?

    • In principle, I don’t see why not. As long as it isnt part of some fancy tax avoidance.
      But remember the relief is set against £1,000 gross rental income. Chances are there will be some expenses that the 10% property owner might want to claim. Using this relief rather than calculating the actual expenses is probably going to be more about convenience and simplifying tax complaince than saving tax in most cases.

Leave a comment