View more on these topics

Insynergy relies on India

Insynergy Investment Management has provided UK retail investors with access to an Indian asset management group that was previously available only to overseas and institutional investors.

The Inynergy absolute India fund is managed for Insynergy by Reliance Asset Management, a subsidiary of Indian firm Reliance Capital Asset Management. Portfolio manager Ashish Mehta, who has over 15 years experience in Indian equities, will run it as an unconstrained fund of  20 to 50 holdings. The aim is to generate positive returns from Indian equities in the long term while preserving capital and making money from the losers in difficult markets.

To achieve this, Mehta will hold companies that are expected to increase in value but he will also take short positions using derivatives. Shorting involves borrowing stocks that look likely to fall in value, selling them, and making a profit by buying them back when the price has fallen. As a Ucits III fund, the Insynergy fund cannot short stocks directly, but it can recreate the strategy using derivatives. This is known as synthetic shorting and Mehta can short up to 30 per cent of the fund’s NAV using this strategy.

Insynergy says around 70 per cent of the Fund’s portfolio will follow the investment strategy of the Reliance growth fund, an Indian fund on which the Insynergy portfolio is based. The remaining 30 per cent of the portfolio will focus on high conviction best ideas, typically in small and medium sized firms that are to small for the Reliance growth fund.

Rapid growth in India makes the country an attractive long-term investment proposition. Indian funds are offered by firms including HSBC, Henderson, Fidelity, Neptune and First State, but Insynergy carves a niche through its use of synthetic shorting.  This feature provides a bridge between long only Indian funds and hedge funds that are only available to high-net worth and institutional investors, but it may not appeal to some investors.

The fund could attract investors who want pure exposure to India with full Ucits investment powers, but some may prefer exposure through a Bric or global emerging markets fund.

Recommended

Change of perception

Emerging markets may have emerged in many investors’ minds but the debt of these countries still retains the perception of being high risk. The recent wariness towards sovereign debt in general has not helped, but just as emerging economies have differed from the west in terms of their overall health so too does the attractiveness […]

1

MC Trustees sets up first Malta Qrops

MC Trustees is launching what it believes is the first Qrops based in Malta. It says the scheme has been accepted by HM Revenue & Customs as a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme. It will initially have its administration outsourced to MC Trustees in the UK with the Malta company, MC Trustees (Malta) Limited, taking […]

Ammunition check

Adrian Frost joined Artemis nine years ago after almost two decades at Deutsche, attracted by the opportunity to focus entirely on running money. In the period since, his £3bn-plus income fund has consistently been among the most popular in a competitive sector while the bond-focused high income has also built a strong following. Frost has […]

Generation Rent

By Denise Wond, marketing manager We’ve heard a great deal about Generation Rent in recent years but what does it actually mean for consumers and advisers and has the face of the typical renter changed? The picture is certainly more diverse than it used to be. Homeownership is at its lowest point in 30 years, […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com