View more on these topics

Insch tells alternative tale about gold

Alternative investment manager Insch Capital Management has created an offshore investment for high-net-worth investors which combines a structured product portfolio linked to the price of gold with the Insch Kintillo currency program.

Investors in Goldlocks will benefit from the inflation protection and growth potential of gold, while capturing currency movements through the computer driven currency program.

Insch says it developed the product by asking what is the most that investors can stand to lose. It says that the bigger the loss, the harder it is to make up for the lost ground. Investing in gold alongside a currency enhancement program should ensure capital is preserved and its value protected against inflation, without losing the potential for growth.

Structured products linked to the GoldLNPM index will make up 80 per cent of Goldilocks. These will be issued by a range of financial institutions that are rated A by Moody’s or A2 by Standard & Poor’s or Fitch. Examples of potential issuers who meet the criteria are ING, ABM Amro and Societe Generale.

The structured products will provide 100 per cent growth in the rise of gold prices if prices rise between 20 and 120 per cent after five years.

The currency program treats currency as an asset class that can generate gains and losses. It will be geared by four times, which means three times the original amount is borrowed to invest alongside the original amount. However, a 50 per cent stop loss will be triggered to protect half of this part of the portfolio

Goldilocks will provide 90 per cent capital protection overall. Investors are fully protected on 80 per cent of their investment through the structured products and the protection on half the remaining 20 per cent through the stop-loss brings the total to 90 per cent. Stop losses are used to protect investors from further losses when trades have gone against them.

This product could be useful for sophisticated investors who are looking for something different in the search for diversification but who also want to preserve the majority of their capital in the worst case scenario. However, some investors may find the currency trading element difficult to understand.


Yields take a turn

The yield difference between corporate bonds and equity dividends has narrowed dramatically


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm