View more on these topics

Howard knocks Brown&#39s &#39borrow now, tax later&#39 Budget

lTechnical Connection&#39s Tony Wickenden (below) and Money Marketing have teamed up to bring you an introductory free instant analysis of the Budget via our new Techlearn service. An online audio-visual lecture from Technical Connection will summarise the Budget for you and your clients. The innovative Techlearn technology enables us to deliver the lecture to you quickly and easily via an ordinary modem. You can log on to Money Marketing Techlearn via moneymarketing.co.uk.

Conservative leader Michael Howard has slammed Gordon Brown&#39s measures as a “credit card Budget from a credit card Chancellor”.

Responding to Brown&#39s Budget speech, Howard criticised the Government&#39s track record on promoting savings, pointing to figures showing the savings ratio has fallen from 10 per cent since Labour came to power in 1997 to 5 per cent.

Howard also queried Brown&#39s borrowing forecasts, saying he is on course to borrow almost five times the amount he forecast at the time of the last election in 2001.

Debt as a proportion of national income stands at 33 per cent and is set to rise to 36 per cent by 2008 despite a forecast of GDP growth at 3 to 3.5 per cent for 2004. But Brown pledged stability and claims to have met his golden rule on borrowing and sustainable investment rule.

Howard said: “This is a credit card Budget from the credit card Chancellor – a borrow now, tax later Budget from a borrow now, tax later Chancellor.”

Brown also came under fire from the Liberal Democrats, with Treasury spokesman Vincent Cable attacking his failure to do anything to tackle rising household debt.

The inheritance tax threshold has been raised by 3 per cent to £263,000 from £255,000. The rate of inheritance tax has been frozen at 40 per cent.

The proposed income tax charge on pre-owned assets will take effect from April 2005 as outlined in last year&#39s pre-Budget report. The Government says it will not affect “legitimate” transactions between family members such as parents or grandparents wanting to help family members get a foot on the property ladder. Although the change does not come in until 2005, it has been criticised by the industry because it retrospectively affects all arrangements put in place since 1986.

Stamp duty on property purchases has been frozen. The Government says recent trends in the housing market have persuaded it to retain stamp duty at 1 per cent for properties up to £60,000, 3 per cent up to 250,000 and 4 per cent up to £500,000. However, the Council of Mortgage Lenders believes the failure to index stamp duty thresholds remains a form of stealth tax.

The Sandler suite of stakeholder products will be on the market from April 2005. The Treasury says the FSA will finish its research by the end of May, with an announcement of the charge cap expected shortly afterwards.

Chancellor Gordon Brown has refused to back down over the abolition of tax credits on equity Isa dividends despite intense pressure from the industry. Plans to cut the annual maxi Isa allowance to £5,000 from £7,000 will also go ahead.

Recommended

FSA responds to Miles review

The FSA it will consider carefully the recommendations made by David Miles in his review of long term fixed interest rates. FSA director of high street firms Sarah Wilson says with the introduction of statutory regulation of the mortgage market on 31 October 2004, the FSA will implement reforms to improve the functioning of the […]

ABI welcomes debate on funding strategy

The ABI is keen to see debate over the best health funding strategy model for the UK heat up, believing that debate has been narrow so far. ABI head of health Richard Walsh says there is a different health funding system in force in every European country, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses. […]

VCTs to get tax relief boost

Investors in venture capital trusts look set to receive 40 per cent income tax relief on investments up to £200,000 under new rules outlined in the Budget. In his speech, Chancellor Gordon Brown said he would boost the amount of relief available to 40 per cent from 20 per cent but he did not indicate […]

&#39Switch over to sell income protection&#39

The industry needs to turn its focus towards selling income protection, says Bright Grey product director Roger Edwards. Speaking at last week&#39s Health Insurance Conference in London, Edwards questioned whether a new version of critical-illness cover is needed or whether the current model just has background issues that need repair. He concluded that, no matter […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment

    Close

    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

    Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com