View more on these topics

Gross lending drops by 7.6 per cent in August

Fears the housing market is overheating and set to collapse have been curbed by a 7.6 per cent drop in gross lending during August.

Council of Mortgage Lenders lending figures for July reveal gross lending dropped to £10.9m in August from £11.8m in July.

It is predicting the market will continue to slow over the coming months but warns an early 1990s style housing bust is still on the cards as total gross lending for the year so far is 31 per cent higher than it was this time in 1998.

Variable rate loans accounted for 57 per cent of new lending in August and fixed rate mortgages accounted for the other 43 per cent.

The average variable rate for new loans offered by lenders in August dropped to 5.48 per cent in August from 5.61 per cent in July and the average for fixed rates also dropped, to 5.57 per cent from 5.63 per cent.

CML director general Michael Coogan says: &#34While it is too early to be certain, it is quite likely that lending growth will begin to slow down over the coming months and we expect to see both lending and house prices rising less dramatically during 2000 and 2001.&#34

Building Societies Association figures for August confirmed the market is cooling off with gross advances dropping to £2,437m from £2,799m.

Net advances dropped to £964m in August from £1,321m in July, approvals dropped fell to £2,297m from £2,547m but savings being pumped into societies increased to £971m from £896m.

BSA director general Adrian Coles says: &#34The levels of outstanding approvals is still healthy suggesting a high level of lending will continue in the autumn.&#34


JRA chief predicts the death of personal pensions

The head of J Rothschild Assurance has stakeholder will spell the death knell for the personal pension market according to a report in today&#39s Times.According to the Times JRA chief executive Mike Wilson says stakeholder pensions would cut margins in the industry so much that personal pensions would become unsaleable.Wilson also claims that companies relying […]

Abbey National launches fixed rate bond

Abbey National is launching a new three year fixed rate bond and hiking the interest rates on its range of &#34Choices Bonds.&#34The new Fixed Rate Reserve Bond 3 has a minimum investment of £2,000. The limited edition bond is paying 6.85 per cent gross until its maturity on November 1, 2001.Because the bond is aimed […]

Lib Dems put pensions back on the agenda

The new Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy brought pensions back to the forefront of the political agenda this week at the party&#39s Harrogate conference.Kennedy said he had made it one of the priorities of his leadership to forge a political consensus on pensions reform.Speaking at a fringe meeting with Lib Dem pension spokesman Steve Webb, […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm