View more on these topics

Gov’t buy up £260bn Lloyds debt, takes 65% share

Lloyds Banking Group has submitted £260bn of debt to the Government’s Asset Protection Scheme as the Treasury takes a 65 per cent stake in the lender.

After a long-wrangled negotiation, the troubled lender has given up majority control in the Group in exchange for entrance into the scheme. It estimates that 83 per cent of the debt comes from the HBOS book.

The Group intends to participate in the Scheme in respect of assets and exposures on its balance sheet with an aggregate par value of approximately £260bn. The Covered Assets are expected to include around £74bn in residential mortgages, around £18bn in unsecured personal loans, as much as £151bn in corporate and commercial loans and around £17bn in treasury assets.

Lloyds Banking Group will bear a first loss £25bn of in respect of the covered Assets. After the first loss, the Group will retain an exposure of 10 per cent of any further losses incurred. The remaining 90 per cent of further losses arising in respect of the Covered Assets will be borne by the Treasury.

The scheme is costing the Group £15.6bn to enter into, which will be recouped by the Government over a seven-year period in the form of a share conversion scheme. If Shareholders do not claw back any entitlement to the new ordinary shares, the Government will own approximately 65 per cent of the ordinary shares of Lloyds. In addition, in the event of full conversion of the B shares that the Government is entitled to, then the Treasury’s aggregate ordinary shareholding would rise to 77 per cent.

Lloyds Banking Group chief executive Eric Daniels says: “Participating in the Government’s Asset Protection Scheme substantially reduces the risk profile of the Group’s balance sheet. Our significantly enhanced capital position will ensure that the Group can weather the severest of economic downturns and emerge strongly when the economy recovers. We believe that this is an appropriate deal for our shareholders.”


Open debate on FSA future

For too long, the Conservatives have been quiet on the subject of FSA regulation but this week’s review, headed by former Treasury official James Sassoon, deserves attention.

Don’t think twice

There was yet another early day motion laid in the House recently on the subject of enforced annuitisation at age 75 and the potential 82 per cent tax that can hit the pension savings of people over this arbitrary age. This latest EDM once again calls on the Government to consider legislation to alleviate this exorbitant tax situation.

Is volatility dead? No, sell credit

There are several arguments that one could currently make for why credit markets look unattractive. These include signals that the US economy is in late cycle, the fact that corporate leverage has been increasing (with 2016 setting a record for the amount of global bond issuance), and that US high-yield default rates have risen considerably […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm