View more on these topics

First State invests in UK

First State Investments is focusing on the UK with the introduction of the British mid-cap fund.

Created as an open-ended investment company (Oeic) the fund is aimed at medium-risk investors who are looking to broaden their portfolios.

The Oeic will invest in between 60 and 80 companies, with at least 90 per cent of these being medium-sized UK companies which cover a wide range of sectors. The fund will benchmark the FTSE mid-250 index, excluding investment trusts. The remaining 10 per cent will be companies outside the index, possibly including ones listed on the alternative investment market.

The companies will be chosen on a bottom-up basis with First State concentrating on firms that have good long-term potential. Some of the companies included will be Scottish Media, Thistle Hotels and transport logistics firm Christian Salveson. The Oeic will not invest in any companies also listed in the FTSE 100 index.

British mid-cap will be managed by Derek Lygo, who joined First State in October 2001. Before this he managed a spread of UK unit trusts at Dresdner RCM.

The fund will join the other 303 funds in the Standard & Poor’s UK all companies sector and does not stand out as offering anything innovative, although it could appeal to clients who already invest in the FTSE 100 and who want to spread the risk beyond this area.

According to Standard & Poor’s of the 18 funds run by First State, two are first quartile, three are second quartile, six are second quartile and six are fourth quartile, based on £1,000 invested on a bid-to-bid basis with gross income reinvested over one year to November 26, 2001.


Seed Capital&#39s VCT grows UK&#39s Silicon Valley

Seed Capital is capitalising on the UK&#39s answer to Silicon Valley with the Oxford technology venture capital trust (VCT) 3.The VCT will invest in early-stage and start-up technology companies within a 60-mile radius of Oxford. It is similar to the previous two Oxford technology VCTs, which appeared in 1997 and 2000. These are now fully […]

Pink brings out one-property buy-to-let

Pink Home Loans’ two-year fixed rate buy-to-let mortgage is aimed at more modest buy-to-let investors.The mortgage can only be used to buy just one property and not several, as many other competing products allow. It has a fixed rate of 5.8 per cent until January 31, 2004 for loans of up to 80 per cent […]

PIA expels IFAs

The PIA has expelled IFAs Allied Anglo Financial Services of The Old House, White Heath, Ashford Road, Hollingbourne, Maidstone, Kent and Weybourne Financial Services of Weybourne House, 15 Aylesbury Road, Wendover, Buckinghamshire. The two firms are no longer authorised to conduct investment business they no longer meet the FSA&#39s financial resources requirements. Allied Anglo was […]

School of thought on personal finance

Personal finance is set to be taught to secondary school pupils under a new programme set up this week by the Personal Finance Edu-cation Group with the endorsement of FSA chairman Howard Davies.The Excellence and Access campaign will see 128,000 children in 400 secondary schools get personal finance education over the next four years. It […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm