View more on these topics

Equity-release code is more important than ever, says King

The delay in bringing mortgages under the regulatory wing of the FSA has highlighted the importance of the code used to maintain standards in the equity-release market, according to its trade body.

The newly appointed chairman of Safe Home Income Plans, Jon King, says the Ship code is more important than ever after the delay to statutory mortgage regulation following the Government&#39s announcement of its intention to regulate mortgage advice.

The two key principles of the code, to which all association members must adhere, are a guarantee to customers that they will never lose their home and that they will be allowed to move.

Ship represents nine players in the equity-release market. King, a director and former spokesman of Ship, will chair the trade body for two years. He is also chairman of provider Hodge Equity Release.

King has been involved in the equity-release market for nine years and worked in financial services for 18 years. He has been a director of Ship for the last two years.

He says: “I am delighted to take up this responsibility at a time when equity-release sales are at all-time record levels. Maintaining product standards through the Ship code is vital to the future of this market.”

Outgoing chairman Mark Goodale says: “Jon brings a wealth of equity-release experience to the Ship board and, at this critical time for the industry, I very much welcome his appointment.”


IFAs snub Investlife bond

IFAs have criticised Investlife&#39s high-income bond, saying they will not recommend it as returns are linked to the worst performing of eight stockmarket sectors.Investlife&#39s premier income and growth bond is being marketed as ideal for risk-averse investors as its capital return is linked to eight Dow Jones Europe Stoxx sectors.But IFAs say this claim is […]

Genesis Home Loans 2-year fixed

Genesis Home Loans, fixed mortgageFixed term: two yearsFixed rate: 4.99%Minimum loan: £40,000Maximum loan: £250,000Income multiples: 3.25 + 1, 2.75 x jointArrangement fee: £325Redemption fee: 6 months interest at SVR until 3/3/05Conditions: no MIG, maximum LTV 102% first time buyersIntroducer&#39s fee: refer to packagerTel: 01832 275 044

FSA claims trees take place of IFAs

The FSA admits the 1 per cent cap is damaging the IFA channel by cutting income and driving advice out of the market.It says the cap for stakeholder and Cat standards “is leading to a squeeze on revenue in cash terms per sale” for IFAs.This follows the decline in direct salesforces, “consumer demand for independent […]

Gartmore chases income

Gartmore has unveiled the Gartmore monthly income fund, a unit trust that aims to produce income of 7.5 per cent a year.The fund will initially invest 70 per cent in high yielding bonds and the remaining 30 per cent will go into investment-grade bonds. By including both types of bond, the fund strives to balance […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm