View more on these topics

EAMR gets emotional about assets

Investment advisory boutique Emotional Assets Management & Research has created its first fund, which invests in tangible assets such as art, photography, coins and stamps directly and through other investment funds.

EAMR was founded in London last year with a view to establishing emotional assets as a viable asset class. It has appointed Kleinwort Benson (Channel Islands) Fund Services to administer the Guernsey-based Emotional Assets Fund 1.

The fund invests in 15 sectors of the collectables market, with a target return of 15 per cent a year over five years. Around 60 per cent of the fund will be managed on a fund of funds basis, with the remaining 40 per cent invested directly in tangible assets, which may also include vintage jewellery and ceramics.

The fund will not be leveraged and will combine top-down asset allocation with bottom- up selection of assets. A panel of experts will be used to advise the fund on the direct investments and there is an investment committee dedicated to the funds.

EAMR expects to invest in a core of around six funds, with each underlying fund comprising 5 to 10 per cent of the portfolio. Direct investments will be made on a satellite basis in assets such as vintage watches and jewellery, rare ceramics, manuscripts and atlases, where funds may not be available.

The company believes that the assets in which it invests could appeal to investors who are questioning the merits of paper assets in the aftermath of the credit crunch. It says that hedge funds and private equity have over-promised and are overly dependent on leverage to produce returns.

Unlike the funds in which it invests, it will have a broad spread of assets, which reduces the risk of relying on one cyclical area of the collectables market. However, this fund’s niche appeal is highlighted by its £100,000 minimum investment.



Value for money?

Value for money can mean different things to different people. Personally I have always been prepared to pay just a little bit more for a quality product or service. Before British Airways began to follow the low costs airlines by scrapping the very things that attracted people like me, such as free food, I was […]

FSA bans loan firms for management failings

The FSA this week banned two mortgage brokers for management failings and for failing to treat customers fairly. The regulator found that Heaney Finance sole trader Noel Heaney, based in Northern Ireland,was not competent to run an authorised firm after it identified TCF failings. Heaney entrusted the running of his business to an inexperienced employee […]

£1.4M deficit for ifs School of Finance

The ifs School of Finance accounts show a £1.4m deficit last year, following a surplus of £1.7m in 2007. Its annual report and accounts for 2008 shows the ifs, which is a registered charity, saw expenditure reach £16.5m in 2008 while its total income was £15.1m. It has seen little income growth since 2004 when […]

The fifteen-year itch

By Neil Jones Technical support manager with Canada Life’s ican Technical Services Team. Canada Life offers a range of wealth management solutions, including retirement income planning, estate planning and investment solutions from a choice of jurisdictions, including the UK, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland. The treatment of non-UK domiciles that are resident in […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm