It is important marketing campaigns are planned to a fine level of detail. Investment of time at outset should improve returns as well as make your marketing more accountable. Campaigns can include any activity from enquiry generation using mail shots or advertising, through to invitations to seminars. This universal checklist will make sure that nothing is missed and should be applied to all campaigns:
- What are you trying to achieve?
- What is the activity about?
- Who are you trying to influence?
- What do you want them to know?
- What do you want them to do?
- How will you communicate?
- When will this happen?
- Who will do the work and what will it cost?
- How will you know if it has worked?
The best way to see how this applies to your business is to take your most recent marketing activity and put it to the test. If there are gaps in your planning then a more thorough application of the checklist for the next campaign should improve responses.
David Shelton is a consultant at Stoke Bishop Associates