View more on these topics

Crédit Agricole and Société Générale complete merger

Crédit Agricole SA and Société Générale have finalised the agreement to combine their asset management operations.

The combined group will have 50m retail clients worldwide and will have £510bn of assets under management.

Some changes have been made since the announcement of the preliminary agreement in January 2009.

The new entity (CAAM-SGAM) still includes 100 per cent of the activities of the CAAM group, to which Société Générale is bringing its fundamental investment activities, 20 per cent of TCW and its joint-venture in India.

However, on account of local regulatory constraints and agreements with partners, SGAM’s joint-ventures in China and Korea will not be included. Crédit Agricole SA will hold 75 per cent of the new business with the remaining 25 per cent held by Société Générale, taking into account this change in scope, the level of equity capital contributed by the two entities, and the latest operating framework.

Société Générale will appoint one third of the directors of the board of the new entity and, under group governance, will control the equivalent of one third of voting rights. Yves Perrier, the current CEO of CAAM, will become CEO of the new group.

The operation remains subject to approval with the transaction expected to close during the 4th quarter of this year.


Group dynamics

Here we are eight months down the line from the FSA’s November 2008 feedback statement and we are little closer to knowing how the retail distribution review will treat workplace pensions.


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm