View more on these topics

Competition watchdog approves Just Retirement/Partnership merger

Cook-Rodney.Just-Retirement.2013

Just Retirement and Partnership’s proposed merger has moved a step closer after the UK Competition and Markets Authority cleared the deal.

The providers, both of whom saw their share price hammered in the wake of Chancellor George Osborne’s Budget bombshell in April 2014, announced the merger in August.

However, advisers raised concerns the deal could be bad for savers because it would diminish annuity pricing competition.

Despite this, the CMA has approved the merger, which is set to complete in December once it has been ratified by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the FCA.

Just Retirement chief executive Rodney Cook will lead the combined business, with Partnership boss Steve Groves leaving the firm on completion.

Just Retirement shareholders will own roughly 60 per cent of the business, while Partnership shareholders will control the remaining 40 per cent.

Just Retirement says the deal will eventually result in annual savings of at least £40m – approximately one-third of the combined cost base of the two firms. Part of this saving will come from “the removal of duplicate quotes, sales and pricing activity for annuities”.

Recommended

Bellamy-David-2012-700x450.jpg
2

SJP assets hit £55bn as net pension inflows rise 44%

St James’s Place saw total assets under management hit £54.5bn at the end of the third quarter as more than £620m of new pension money flowed to the wealth manager. The firm’s third quarter update, published this morning, reveals gross inflows of funds under management were £2.32bn in the three months to 30 September, up […]

George-Osborne-with-head-down-walking-700.jpg

Govt eyes early increase to personal allowance

Chancellor George Osborne is considering a package of measures to lessen the impact of his controversial cuts to tax credits. A plan, including speeding up the planned increases in the personal allowances, could be unveiled in the Autumn Statement, the Mail on Sunday reports. Under current proposals, the Government will raise the starting rate of […]

Aberdeen Gilbert Martin Gilbert 700x450

Aberdeen on the hunt for buyer

Aberdeen Asset Management has started to sound out potential buyers to turn around outflows and a drop in profitability. The Financial Times reports that Aberdeen founder and chief executive Martin Gilbert had made informal approaches to several rivals over recent months. Gilbert declined to comment, while a spokesperson for Aberdeen denied that anyone has been […]

Pension savings-2015

Pension tax relief: parked (for the moment)

The national news agenda has been dominated by pension issues this month. For those that missed it (and there cannot have been many given that this was the lead story in spoken and written media), the Chancellor announced a decision to make no decision on pension tax relief in his 16 March 2016 Budget speech. To […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment