View more on these topics

Combined bond from West Brom and NU

West Bromwich Building Society and Norwich Union have teamed up to offer a new combined investment and bond portfolio with a fixed rate of 8.50 per cent on investments of £25,000 or over.

The rate is fixed until July 31, 2003, with 70 per cent of the bond invested in an NU Portfolio Bond and the remaining 30 per cent in West Brom&#39s special guaranteed growth bond.

There are lower rates for smaller sums invested with minimum investment starting at £10,000.

Within the NU portfolio there are a variety of portfolios to suit different attitudes to investment.

Recommended

Property boom set to continue

The property boom looks set to continue, with the majority of buyers believing any rise in interest rates will be merely a temporary blip and will not temper the market, according to Yorkshire Bank.Its latest housebuyer survey reveals that almost two-thirds of homeowners believe the value of their property will rise in the next year, […]

Ferguson plays below his handicap

The Diary is no golfer (more like a gofer) but was still impressed by Abacus director David Ferguson&#39s achievement last week at the Craigielaw Golf Club&#39s summer meeting.Despite having been on a 14-hour bender (not involving many white wine spritzers, MM suspects), David won with rounds of 66 and 70. But even more impressive was […]

NU looks at active and passive WP

Norwich Union is considering offering both actively and passively managed with-profits.Sandler proposes restrictions on investment risk for a vanilla stakeholder product, which would operate under the price cap, and says active fund management is expensive and ineffectual.Proposals include the ring-fencing of with-profits for safe haven products, which the ind-ustry says could lead to more companies […]

Mortgage club deal from SML

Scottish Life Mortgages is piloting a mortgage club with national mortgage intermediary Personal Touch Insurance which it then plans to roll out across the industry.SLM says it will compete head-on with its rivals Prudential Mortgage Service and Legal & General&#39s mortgage club and claims it will have the edge of being the only life office […]

The Rubik’s Cube: China’s policy trilemma

By Douglas Turnbull, Investment Director, Head of Chinese Equities China faces a ‘Rubik’s Cube’ policy trilemma, whereby it needs to sustain a minimum acceptable level of growth, deal with issues such as overcapacity and reform the financial system to make it a far more efficient allocator of capital. Given the contradictory nature of these objectives, […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

    Leave a comment