View more on these topics

Carby quit Openwork

Former Openwork chief executive Keith Carby has revealed that a disagreement between himself and Zurich about the future of the business led to him leaving the firm.

Openwork announced last week that Carby was leaving with immediate effect, to be replaced by chairman Martin Davis.

Carby says: “I was working on the basis that the advisers and the staff owning 75 per cent of the business counted for something but some people at Zurich had an alternative view.”

Zurich owns 25 per cent of Openwork, with the other 75 per cent owned by Openwork advisers and employees.

Davis says: “Keith had a clear view of where we were going as a business but the reality is that the strategy needed new focus.”

Davis says Openwork is likely to look for additional funding from Zurich. He says: “We need to form a vision and a view as to where the market is going and then have a conversation with Zurich and ask them if they are up for supporting us. My understanding is that Zurich is open to discussions about how the share arrangement could be structured in the future.”

He says Openwork, which operates on a multi-tied basis, will launch an IFA arm due to the upcoming retail distribution review changes.

He says: “Openwork will have to sit in the middle. A large number of advisers will migrate in one direction and then a large number will migrate in the other. We need to start developing our model so we can support both groups explicitly.”

Carby says it was always his intention to move the firm in a similar direction. He will take a short break before returning to the industry.


Basics instinct

I was never one of those children who had a very definite idea of a career path. Other than a fleeting moment of wanting to be a ballerina and a member of Abba, my career choices as a child were not obvious.

Split capital

I have just agreed the financial settlement on my divorce. What should I do now?

Investment Forum

Position Portfolios for a Changing China, Accelerating Disruption and More Political Discourse Is China an asset class? Why Investors’ Understanding of China is Changing How is disruption changing the way we invest? Established Ways of Doing Business Are Being Challenged What to Watch: Why politics matters more than ever in 2017 Key takeaways: Despite volatile […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm