View more on these topics

Bonus for FCA boss hangs in balance over LC&F collapse

FCA chief executive Andrew Bailey could have to forgo a bonus if the regulator is deemed to not have dealt with the collapse of mini-bond provider London Capital & Finance effectively.

The FCA’s independent review into the failure of the firm is likely to inform performance bonus decisions for the regulator’s directors from next year.

In its annual report published today the FCA said the Renumeration Committee will consider the outcome of the review when it decides on performance-related bonuses in February 2020.

If the outcome of the review is not known by then a decision will be “deferred” until the outcome is known, the FCA said.

FCA details further concerns over mini-bond provider London Capital & Finance

Senior directors were eligible to be considered for a performance-related award up to a maximum of 35 per cent of average base salary applying during the previous year for the period under review –  1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019.

Non-executive directors were not eligible to be considered for an award.

Source: FCA Annual Report and Accounts 2018/19

Bailey was awarded a performance bonus of £75,000 for 2018, of which £30,000 (40 per cent) was paid in May 2018. The remaining £45,000 (60 per cent) was held in deferment and was paid in March 2019 following approval by the Remuneration Committee.

For the performance year ending in March 2019 Bailey was awarded a performance bonus of £68,000, of this £27,200 (40 per cent) was paid in March 2019, the remaining £40,800 (60 per cent) will be held in deferment until March 2020 and paid at the discretion of the Remuneration Committee.

The FCA chief executive was the highest-paid director for 2019 and 2018.

Performance bonus decisions are made by the Remuneration Committee in February each year.

Recommended

Knight Frank opens later life lending arm

Knight Frank has become the first estate agent to offer later life lending advice. Offered though its Knight Frank Finance arm via a specially formed team, borrowers will be given guidance on a suite of products that includes equity release and retirement interest-only mortgages. Knight Frank Finance head of later life finance David Forsdyke points […]

HarbronGarrett

Clients in the UK and the US: More different than alike?

About this time last year, Vanguard introduced our paper The evolution of Vanguard Adviser’s Alpha®: From portfolios to people in the United States. It explored our vision of the future of advice, and what advisers need to do in order to remain relevant and profitable. One of the more interesting (and controversial) findings of the paper was […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Comments

There are 4 comments at the moment, we would love to hear your opinion too.

  1. Utter gravy train under the guise of consumer protection!!!

    • How are they judged, by fines levied for un ethical, un compliant or fraudulent behaviour picked up after the event which the regulator should have nipped in the bud before poor unsuspecting consumers were affected.

  2. A bonus for what, failure to regulate!

  3. I do wonder what the FCA staff on the ground feel about having to watch the senior piggies with their greedy snouts deep in the trough ….looking on from behind having to deal with the stink and the clean up ?
    Does this unaccountable abuse of power and ingrained prejudices to climb the greasy pole, apathetic to the industry they are supposed to govern, give them ( FCA staff) incentive and satisfaction to do their jobs properly and ethically?
    Where is the value in this obscene abuse of our clients money ? Where is the proof that they are actually doing a good job ?

    Questions, I fear that may never be answered…

Leave a comment

Close

Why register with Money Marketing ?

Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Money Marketing Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now

Having problems?

Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm

Email: customerservices@moneymarketing.com