View more on these topics

ABN fears bulk annuity burden at Pru and L&G

Investment analysts ABN Amro have expressed serious concerns over

Prudential&#39s and Legal & General&#39s bulk annuity business,

claiming that the liabilities taken on may be too great.

Bulk annuities are created when defined-benefit schemes close and

trustees sell off future liabilities to insurance companies.

ABN has recommended reducing shareholdings in Prudential after

looking at its bulk annuity business.

A report from the firm, which covered all aspects of Pru&#39s business,

says: “There are substantial risks attached to writing large volumes

of bulk annuity business” and says Pru may have had “an optimistic

view about future assumptions” on its liabilities.

The company applies the same concerns to L&G, which also has

considerable bulk annuity exposure. It wrote £741m of bulk

annuities in 2001 compared with £575m by Pru.

Despite estimates that the market will grow, other insurers are

shying away from the sector over concerns on longevity and poor

invest-ment yields.

Standard Life is not keen to increase its exposure, claiming the

market is not attractive and that it is not prepared to write

business on the terms that Pru and L&G offer.

Axa is considering entering the market but is hesitant about taking

on such large-scale risks, with life expectancy continuing to rise.

The report says: “We do not share Prudential&#39s confidence in the bulk

annannuity purchase sector.Handle Legal & General with care – our

concerns regarding Pru also apply in part to L&G.

Prudential Annuities head of marketing Trevor Mitchell says: “We run

our annuities business very prudently. We have the mortality,

investment and systems&#39 expertiseto operate profitably.”

Legal & General director (corporate annuities) Dennis Canham

says: “We can never be absolutely sure but if we thought that we were

getting it wrong we would be out of it like a shot.”

Axa head of pensions marketing Steve Folkard says: “We are looking to

see if there is a profitable way forward. You need to look very

carefully at the way that liabilities are secured and future

mortality assumptions.”


Jupiter goes for distribution

Jupiter has introduced the distribution fund, a unit trust that aims to produce income of 5 per cent a year with the potential for capital growth. This unit trust invests 65 per cent in corporate bonds and other fixed-interest securities, with the remaining 35 per cent going into high-yielding UK stocks and shares. The corporate […]

SFO loses final Morgan Grenfell round in court

The Serious Fraud Office&#39s last chance of securing a conviction inthe 1996 Morgan Grenfell scandal finally slipped away last week asNorwegian stockbroker Erik Langaker was acquitted.Langaker was found not guilty at Kingston crown court on charges ofconspiracy to defraud. Charges against his colleague Jan HelgeJohnsen were stayed in May 2000 after it was revealed that […]

Quarter of independents back the Sandler review

IFAs are divided over what good the Sandler review will do for theindustry, with more than a quarter supporting the controversialreview, according to the State of the IFA Nation poll.When asked about what the review will do for the industry, 30 percent of respondents were unsure whether the outcome would bebeneficial for the market.But 27 […]

Hargreaves predicts Equitable exodus

Hargreaves Lansdown is predicting a flood of mis-selling claims from former Equitable Life policyholders now the compromise scheme has been agreed. It is expecting policyholders to leave in their droves once High Court approval to the scheme is given and that mis-selling claims from policyholders who have already left will begin. It also expects the […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers.  Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and advice.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm